cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

change roles in the vtp

broow
Level 1
Level 1

We have an old 5500 that has been acting as our vtp server for years.  we plan to remove the 5500 soon.  We have an 6500 that is running in client mode now, we wish to reverse the roles of the 6500 and 5500.  Making the 6500 the server and the 5500 the client.  Anything we should be careful in doing?  Will it be as simple as making the 5500 transparent, making the 6500 the server, and then change the 5500 to a client?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Broow,

having two VTP servers is not a problem is indeed recommended!

With this in mind, I would change VTP mode to server on the C6500 and I wouild look for another device to be elected server

C5500 can be kept in vtp mode server until you will power down it

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Broow,

having two VTP servers is not a problem is indeed recommended!

With this in mind, I would change VTP mode to server on the C6500 and I wouild look for another device to be elected server

C5500 can be kept in vtp mode server until you will power down it

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

That is the good idea.

Step by step implementation method:

1.Make the C6500 Switch as transparent mode and save the config.Make sure that all the existing vlan's are present.

2.Save the config in C6500 Switch

3.Make C6500 switch as VTP server with same domain and VTP revision value should be high.and create one new L2 vlan in 6500 switch and test weather it is flowing through your network

4.Now Make the 5500 Switch also as cleint mode.Make sure that all existing vlan's are present.

5.Save the config in 5500 switch

6.For testing create one test L2 vlan in C6500 Switch and test weather is flowing to 5500 switch.

regards

Karuppu

thanks for the good information

Aaron D
Level 1
Level 1

couple things from experience on this-

remember once you make the 5K transparent you should keep in mind that current downstream switches can still affect the VTP domain. depending on how many VLANs you have, you may want to setup a new VTP domain with a password on the 6500, create the VLAN's manually and migrate the 5000 to transparent, then change the domain on the 5K and make it a client adding the password. This will reset the config-revision number to 0. This may be some extra work but lowers the risk of the dreaded configuration revision issue causing problems.

Hello,

my understanding is that C6500 is already in production network of original poster taking part to the same VTP domain, it already has VTP rev. number = old server number and has received the list of existing vlans.

if it were a new device to be connected to the production I would go thorough the steps you are suggesting.

We can agree that for added safety it would be better to change the vtp domain name set it to transparent then to server mode and then to change back the VTP domain name

A VTP server with revision number 0 and production network VTP domain name  will accept the current VTP DB no need to create manually all the vlans.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

so, basiclly all i need to do is make the 6500 a server aswell as the 5500, then just shutdown the 5500 when ready

broow wrote:

so, basiclly all i need to do is make the 6500 a server aswell as the 5500, then just shutdown the 5500 when ready

Yes, but as the others have said you must make sure the VTP revision number on the 6500 is lower than the 5500. Best thing to do as suggested is to change the 6500 to VTP transparent and then to VTP server. This will reset it's VTP revision number back to 0 and then it will get the vlan database from the 5500, as long as the 6500 is connected via a trunk link.

Jon

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Follow this document with explanation and examples on how to change VTP modes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807d5d42.shtml

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco