Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual-ISP on a 1941 ISR

wberriel1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've inherited a project using the 1941 router  and I'm having trouble figuring out a good way to setup the router to use dual-isp's. This will be for a residential system using residential isp's (cable modem and dsl modem).

As far as I can tell, IP SLA monitoring is not supported on the router, nor is OER. The only thing I can come up with is 2 static routes with different route vectors. IE:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gig0/0 10

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gig0/1 50.

Will the previous even work with interfaces (we're using residential service with dynamic ip's) instead of ip addresses for default route destination, but if it does,  as far as I can tell, this will not do any load balancing (not totally necessary), but it will also not work for logical issues (ie: they use a cable modem for one isp, if there's an issue with the cable feed, the router still thinks the interface is up, even if the modem is not connecting).

Any suggestions would be appreciated in order to have a more robust failover.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

wberriel1 wrote:

Hello,

I've inherited a project using the 1941 router  and I'm having trouble figuring out a good way to setup the router to use dual-isp's. This will be for a residential system using residential isp's (cable modem and dsl modem).

As far as I can tell, IP SLA monitoring is not supported on the router, nor is OER. The only thing I can come up with is 2 static routes with different route vectors. IE:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gig0/0 10

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gig0/1 50.

Will the previous even work with interfaces (we're using residential service with dynamic ip's) instead of ip addresses for default route destination, but if it does,  as far as I can tell, this will not do any load balancing (not totally necessary), but it will also not work for logical issues (ie: they use a cable modem for one isp, if there's an issue with the cable feed, the router still thinks the interface is up, even if the modem is not connecting).

Any suggestions would be appreciated in order to have a more robust failover.

Thanks.

Which IOS version and feature set are you using. It should support IP SLA with the right feature set.

Jon

Thank you very much for your quick reply, it completely slipped my mind to post version info.

So it's a 1941, with the following software.

Cisco IOS Software, C1900 Software (C1900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I'm pretty sure it's IP Base. Although I can't find anything about ip sla on the feature navigator in any of the versions of 15.0(1)M1.

Thanks for any insight

wberriel1 wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick reply, it completely slipped my mind to post version info.

So it's a 1941, with the following software.

Cisco IOS Software, C1900 Software (C1900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I'm pretty sure it's IP Base. Although I can't find anything about ip sla on the feature navigator in any of the versions of 15.0(1)M1.

Thanks for any insight

It is available in 15.0(1)M1 but it is not available in IP Base. The only thing that is available in IP Base is IP SLA Responder but this is not what you want.

The feature sets Universal Data and Universal Security both support IP SLA.

Jon

Thank you very much for the quick response. I'll get one of those then.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card