I'm attempting to determine what is causing this error.
when logging into my switch, I am able to authenticate to user mode. However, when i attempt to login to priv exec mode, the authentication fails, and in the ACS log, there is an error that is generated advising "privlege level too high".
I'm not entirely clear what is generating this error. It advises to check the authorization profile, which i did...I attempted adjusting the privlege level from 0 to 15 to no avail...
any suggestions on where to pinpoint where this is coming from?
ACS 5.0 is very different in concept to ACS 4.x
and uses a policy based system to determine handling of requests as opposed to confiuring this as part of the user/group definitions.
There are some materials, including a video, available from the Welcome page of the application.
WRT your specific question, I think the change you need to make is as follows to create a new Shell Profile with "Maximum Privelege Level" of 15
1) Go to
2) Select the check box by row that starts with default and then press Edit
3) Press Select and then Create to create a new shell profile
4) Enter whichever name you desire and then "Common Tasks" tab where set "Maximum Privelege Level" of 15
5) Press "Submit" to create this profile and then OK twice to select this new profile as a result of the policy
6) Finally from "Device Administration Authorization Policy" press "Save Changes" to change the policy to have the result you just created