cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog forwarding from CiscoWorks to remote server

cbajelis
Level 1
Level 1

I’m looking at both short term and long term integration and I’d like to know if this is possible under Windows instances of either LMS 2.6 or 3.2.

I’d like to be able to configure the common syslog collector to not only forward messages to the LMS Syslog Analyser but also to a remote host.

I can’t see any relevant field in collector.properties – is it possible to do this from the common collector (which would be my preference) or would this have to be defined as an action within the Syslog Analyser?

In an effort to reduce WAN traffic, I don’t want to simply set an additional syslog destination – I guess I’m trying to find the equivalent of syslogd –h.

Thanks for any suggestions

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SyslogCollector is not designed to forward messages to a general syslog receiver.  What you might want to look into is using syslog-ng as a replacement for the server's syslog server (not the Collector, but the daemon which receives the udp/514 messages).  We have a white paper available on doing this at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps2425/white_paper_c11-571038.html .

View solution in original post

We hadn't considered syslog-ng when 2.6 was released.  While only 3.2 was certified with this white paper, the same steps could be made to work with 2.6 as well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SyslogCollector is not designed to forward messages to a general syslog receiver.  What you might want to look into is using syslog-ng as a replacement for the server's syslog server (not the Collector, but the daemon which receives the udp/514 messages).  We have a white paper available on doing this at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps2425/white_paper_c11-571038.html .

Thanks, Joe.

Have you seen this solution work with LMS 2.6?

We hadn't considered syslog-ng when 2.6 was released.  While only 3.2 was certified with this white paper, the same steps could be made to work with 2.6 as well.

Again, thank you, Joe. You have me sorted for both now and next quarter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: