Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2048 - Password problems with special chars

Hi all,

We´ve got a SLM2048 in use  (most current FW) and I wanted to apply our new password standards  onto that switch. So I changed the password of the user admin and used  special chars, which were =&!= and clicked update and save changes. I  now know, that I should have been using only alphanumerical characters,  but why is there no routine that checks the PW for conformance, before  writing it onto the switch.

Problem now is, that I am unable to login and  don´t want to do a hard reset, because the configuration would be lost. I  know there should have been a rescue admin user, but there is none.  What can I do now? Any chance that a cisco engineer could get in contact  with me to debug the entered password in the lab and who could then  tell me what was saved to ROM or how I can login again?

Thanks,

Philip

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I will ask our PM about a routine that checks for characters and whether or not they are acceptable to the system.  We should also make this more clear in the admin guide.

Just thinking out loud here ... If it took the character, I am wondering if it substituted it for a space, star or another character.    Have you tried it with spaces where the special characters were?

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I will ask our PM about a routine that checks for characters and whether or not they are acceptable to the system.  We should also make this more clear in the admin guide.

Just thinking out loud here ... If it took the character, I am wondering if it substituted it for a space, star or another character.    Have you tried it with spaces where the special characters were?

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for your reply, I tried to login with the help of spaces and stars, but nothing worked. I also tried to escape the special characters and used \=\&\!\= but that didn´t work either. It would be really great if you could figure out, how that PW-routine works. If we could "generate" the characters now stored in the flash that would be great.

Philip

Update:  Still checking ...

Hello,

Have learned from our group that there is no way to do this without resetting everything.

Furthermore, we are testing this to see if / why it would take an illegal character.  It should not. Have you tried the pword minus any special character?

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

Just to post here, I had the same problem.  It actually allowed me to log in using the password with special characters before I upgraded the switches to firmware version 2.0.0.8.  After that, I can no longer log into those switches.  Is there any chance using a console cable and hyperterminal to get in I could reset the admin password?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X