cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

does switch 3560 support MLS? (very urgent)

hanyawad
Level 1
Level 1

dear experts,

i want to know if switch 3560 support multilayer switching or not...

if yes how i can perform that, and do i need a card like MSFC to be installed in that switch?

and if it doesn't support MLS what the other model that i can get to implement MLS in my network environment?

thanks alot for your quick reply

Labib makar

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

labibmakar wrote:

dear experts,

if yes how i can perform that, and do i need a card like MSFC to be installed in that switch?

and if it doesn't support MLS what the other model that i can get to implement MLS in my network environment?

Labib makar

Labib

The 3560 can do both L2 and L3 switching so yes it can do MLS although it's not really a term that's used much nowadays.

You do not need an MSFC, you simply configure ip routing ie.

3560(config)# ip routing

if you have the IP Base image it will support static routing/RIP/EIGRP stub. If you want full EIGRP/OSPF/BGP you will need the IP Services image.

Jon

View solution in original post

please Jon,

could you please tell me what the difference between implementing MLS in switch 3560 and in switch 6500 series with MSFC.

or when i need to use MSFC with PFC cards in the catalyst switch.

Hi,

The Multilayer Switch Feature Card (MSFC2) For the Catalyst 6500 Series delivers high performance multilayer switching and intelligent network services for both service provider and enterprise environments. The MSFC2, in combination with the Policy Feature Card (PFC), provides IP, IPX® and IP Multicast switching.

and for 3560 series switches that depends on you IOS for 3560 switches. The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches are available in the standard multilayer software image (SMI) or the enhanced multilayer software image (EMI). The SMI feature set includes advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

labibmakar wrote:

dear experts,

Labib makar

Labib

The 3560 can do both L2 and L3 switching so yes it can do MLS although it's not really a term that's used much nowadays.

You do not need an MSFC, you simply configure ip routing ie.

3560(config)# ip routing

if you have the IP Base image it will support static routing/RIP/EIGRP stub. If you want full EIGRP/OSPF/BGP you will need the IP Services image.

Jon

please Jon,

could you please tell me what the difference between implementing MLS in switch 3560 and in switch 6500 series with MSFC.

please Jon,

Hi,

The Multilayer Switch Feature Card (MSFC2) For the Catalyst 6500 Series delivers high performance multilayer switching and intelligent network services for both service provider and enterprise environments. The MSFC2, in combination with the Policy Feature Card (PFC), provides IP, IPX® and IP Multicast switching.

and for 3560 series switches that depends on you IOS for 3560 switches. The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches are available in the standard multilayer software image (SMI) or the enhanced multilayer software image (EMI). The SMI feature set includes advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

labibmakar wrote:

please Jon,

In practical terms from a configuration point of view not a lot really although the 6500 runnning native has ip routing enabled by default.

MSFC/PFC are terms in relation to the 6500 switch. There is no equivalent on the 3560, you just enable ip routing.

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Labib,

C3560 supports CEF based multilayer switching.

Depending on IOS feature set it can support dynamic routing protocols, PBR, VRF lite and so on.

note: you cannot  expect this device to be able to perform NAT.

only multilayer switch supporting NAT is C6500 with sup720

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card