Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2600 router cannot see output one the screen

with console connection to 2600 route, I cannot see any output on the screen i.e POST output or IOS extraction or prompt  . i can hear the fan running and the power light is on. When I use the same console cable to connect to 2900 switch it works fine.please help.

thanks

7 Replies 7

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

with console connection to 2600 route, I cannot see any output on the screen i.e POST output or IOS extraction or prompt  . i can hear the fan running and the power light is on. When I use the same console cable to connect to 2900 switch it works fine.please help.

thanks

Hi,

As per the cisco documentation try the following things if all leds ar up and no display on console

" Verify that the baud rate is set to 9600 bps. If that doesn't help, verify that the equipment used for connecting to the console is operating properly. You can do this by connecting to a known good router to check your console equipment. If the equipment is successfully tested, but the problem remains, replace the router."

Check out the below link for further information hope to help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a0080094ae0.shtml#LEDs_on

Ganesh.H

Thanks for the response..I have gone through suggested steps but didn't get it to work...I noticed one thing is that the led beside the console module doesn't turn on for some reason..would that be the problem? If so what can be done? is there a way to reset this?

Thanks,

Thanks for the response..I have gone through suggested steps but didn't get it to work...I noticed one thing is that the led beside the console module doesn't turn on for some reason..would that be the problem? If so what can be done? is there a way to reset this?

Thanks,

Hi,

Front and Rear panel LED's explanation for cisco 2600 series routers are explained as

POWER
Indicates the router's operating status. Comes on when power is supplied to the router and the router is operational.

RPS

Off—No RPS1 is attached.
On—RPS is attached and operational.
Blinking—RPS is attached, but has a failure.

ACTIVITY

Off—In the Cisco IOS software, but no network activity.

Blink (500 ms ON, 500 ms OFF)—In ROMMON, no errors.

Blink (500 ms ON, 500 ms OFF, 2 seconds between codes)—In ROMMON, error detected.

Blink (less than 500 ms)—In the Cisco IOS software, the blink rate reflects the level of activity.

and  Rear Panel LED's says

LINK

When on, a link has been established with the hub or switch at the other end of the cable.

ACT

Packets are being transmitted or received on the Ethernet interface.

FDX

When on, the interface is in full-duplex mode. When off, the interface is in half-duplex mode.

100 Mbps

When on, the speed of the interface is 100 Mbps. When off, the speed of the interface is 10 Mbps.

check out the below link alos for further information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/installation/guide/2600ch1.html

and in my previous thread also i have suggested a cisco link which gives the same explanation what i have written in my previous post.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Some how I was able to get some output on the screen and I got the following message:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright  (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

Bad  RAM at location 0x00000000: wrote 0x00000000, read 0xFFFFFFFF

after this there was no more output and router didn't do anything. Does this mean have to replace the RAM?

Regards,

Some how I was able to get some output on the screen and I got the following message:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright  (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

Bad  RAM at location 0x00000000: wrote 0x00000000, read 0xFFFFFFFF

after this there was no more output and router didn't do anything. Does this mean have to replace the RAM?

Regards,

Hi,

It looks like bad RAM or can be busted RAM to me,but since it happened at address 0, it could also just be a data line getting shorted somewhere.

If its socketed, try re-installing it and look for any contamination or other damage in the socket and try to swap the RAM.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

Try different baud rates. 19,200, 38,400 etc...

Hi all,

I was also receiving the below mention message on a Cisco 3725 router console. I just swap the position of two RAMs. place the upper RAM in lower socket and lower RAM in upper socket. After that my problem was resolved. And now the router is working fine.

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0xB0800000

Regards

Ali Raza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: