Unsecured Guest Access with a Customizable Splash Page and Logo

Unanswered Question
Mar 3rd, 2010

I am working on a new wireless deployment with a Cisco wireless lan conroller (WLC) and 10-15 APs. The wireless network will currently be used strictly for unsecured guest access to the Internet. We don't want any encryption or authenticaion on the guest network - it needs to be completely open. However, we do need a captive portal or other webpage redirect so that users are shown a welcome webpage with company logos, the TOS and a welcome message. Ideally this page is hosted elsewhere so that non-technical individuals (e.g. the sales and marketing people) can make changes to the page as necessary.

I think all I really need here is a basic splash page/captive portal  feature, but it doesn't appear that the Cisco WLC supports this feature.So far, my best bet seems to be using webauth. However, it is unclear if this will let us redirect users to an external splash page without needing to login with a username and password first.

Has anyone done a similar setup with a Cisco WLC or other device? Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Peter Nugent Thu, 03/04/2010 - 03:02

There is a web auth bundle that has this available. The web auth bundle is a set of default web pages that you can customise and load to the WLC.

The web auth bundle is in the software download page on the Cisco site

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/InterfaceModuleSWT.x?mdfid=279911193&mdfLevel=Model&treeName=Wireless&modelName=Cisco%204402%20Wireless%20LAN%20Controller&treeMdfId=278875243

I think the WAP bundle contained in the zip file will sort you out

You will need a CCO acount.

michaeldodd98 Thu, 12/02/2010 - 15:21

I used the above links and the Cisco default external login.htm page and modified it so the Username and Password fields are hidden, but have a default value of guest/guest.

So create an account on your WLC of username guest and password guest and then follow the instructions in the article above and it should work. Attached is the modified code for what you are trying to do, edit it with notepad to change the text, once its all working you could try using an HTML editor to add some pictures/logos to it.  All I ask is that you let us know if it works for you.

I just tested it in my lab and working great.

Attachment: 
orliec Tue, 06/26/2012 - 14:55

michaeldodd98: Your example was extremely helpful!  I didn't get much help from Cisco TAC, unfortunately, and the reason I was given was this was an HTML-coder's expertise and not for TAC.  Understood, but Cisco is the one that distributes these sample web auth pages in the first place.  In any case, thank you very much for your input.  I hope others find it just as useful in times of need.

bryantmarsh Thu, 09/06/2012 - 11:08

Michael,

That is a nice code you have. Can you post the login.html that has only the User ID that is hidden but prompts for password?

Thanks!

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network