cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UTIM export tool

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a tool which will export your current UTIM configuration to import into a new build?  We have customers with up to 20 integrations per server and moving them manually is very tedious.  I have looked at the Ciscounitytools.com as well as Tools Depot but thought i would ask here anyway, just in case I missed something.

If this is not available, is this something the Unity development team could consider developing as it is very time intensive trying to "check" and "uncheck" up to 200 ports when configuring the UTIM.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no tool for this around that I know of - I can ping the media team (owners of the UTIM integration) and check and see what this would take.

Need to wrap up the DRS message "fisher" tool first but that's a few days from done.

-J

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no tool for this around that I know of - I can ping the media team (owners of the UTIM integration) and check and see what this would take.

Need to wrap up the DRS message "fisher" tool first but that's a few days from done.

-J

Thanks Jeff for your reply.  I would appreciate it if you could pass this onto the media team, it would be a great tool/functionality to have.  I just reconfigured 18 integrations on both primary and secondary server and it is so prone to human error when you have to create the port names, select the port function (check and uncheck) and configure the existing fields....very time intensive to say the least.  I guess when adding one at a time over a period of time, you dont realize that but having to configure all at once surely does.

right off hand I'm not sure how to approach this problem - that data is spread across 21 (?!) views in the directory database in connection (all the ones that start with "vw_MEDIAPORT or vw_MEDIASWITCH").  These are, of course, all linked in one way or another to an external system (typically a call manager configuration, SIP server or PIMG unit) and the info on that link will vary from integration to integration as expected.

this doesn't lend itself to being able to dump out of one system and slurp it into another system - automatically building a switch integration on the fly based on data from another installation would be extremely challanging at best.

Not sure what you might have been hoping for here - the export of a complex switch configuration (multiple switches, each with multiple port groups each with multiple ports) from one system and a "import and mirror configuration" option into another system I don't think is possible, or at least not very practical.

It might be possible to have a backup of port attributes of various types shown in their switch/group/port layout on one side (from your configured system you back up) and the current switch/group/port configuration of your new system on the right and have you be able to perhaps map ports from the left to ones on the right and have it set port attributes on existing ports that way.  You'd have to construct your lop level switch integration, create port groups and ports first, though.  I'm not sure if that's helpful or would save time or not...

It might be possible to have you create the top level switch integration and port groups and have the import create ports in those port groups on the fly - port definitions are isolated from the external config (inherited from the port group/switch definition their knowledge of the outside world) - not sure but that may be doable - this might save some time perhaps.

the hierarchy nature of the switch configs in 7.x make the UI here a bit challanging (each level in the tree can have many nodes and it may or may not correspond to the construction of your target system).

If you have some more detail on what you were hoping this might do for you it could be helfpul...

Thanks for your response and for thinking about this ~ obviously the complexities behind the UTIM application make this much more of a task than I had considered.  I understand sometimes configuration of an application is the biggest and most time consuming task, and the UTIM is a good example.  If for instance you are configuring a sever such as I am (200 ports on each server with failover, broken into multiple integrations which already exist ~ server consolidation).  Its a one time configuration (hopefully) so not sure the cycles would be warranted to come up with a tool that could export and import.  I had to ask as you have so many great tools available today (cobras especially) but I think I already knew the answer based on the fact that you dont export switch integrations with the cobras tool today. (there must have been a good reason, right?)

It never hurts to ask and now I understand (somewhat) the complexity behind the UTIM, things I hadnt even considered before.  It sounds like even if you did spend time on a tool, and were able to at a high level reproduce some of these configurations, the amount of time required to finish and verify the configuration would be almost as time consuming as manually recreating...

Thanks for the information.

Yeah, that’s something I’m asked often – why COBRAS doesn’t include fax server info, switch config, SMS data, digital networking config etc… anything that involves integrations to external systems that you don’t have access to/control over presents some real challenges for restoring when you can’t assume the configuration is remaining static (i.e. like you can with a disaster recovery scenario like DRS).  So it sticks to what data is self contained to the system being merged/ported/restored.

I’ll be adding directory handlers to COBRAS and exploring some more options with routing rules but that’ll probably be the extent of it – the rest of the system config and integration data will have to be configured manually on the target system.  I may explore configuration data (system wide conversation options, administration preferences, timeouts etc…) as well but even that gets interesting when you’re merging backups from multiple systems onto one – gotta be careful not to overwrite what you want to keep.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: