Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW248G4

dean.stanley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have recently had a SRW248G4 switch and I have been carrying out some tests for a new computer suite.  I have found via carrying out bandwidth tests that the fibre is only giving me 30 MB/s.  Other switches on my network (netgear, 3com) give around 75-80 MB/s.  I have tested the Linksys switch on different fibre patch leads, diffrernt fibre runs in different locations, different RJ45 patch cables, different computers etc. but speeds never reach above 40MB/s.  The switch is setup factory default, i have brought two media fibre channels for the switch and have tested with both.

Is there a setting that is not set by default that will enable full bandwidth over the fibre?  I have brought MGBSX1 SFP transciever

Can anybody help??

2 Replies 2

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello and good afternoon,

The switch should provide line rate / non-blocking speeds.  Humm ...

- Duplex and speed settings match?

- Any port related stats?  All look well?

I am going to ping the honorable Dave Hornstein (my peer) since he is a fiber guru ... I am only a wanna bee fiber guru.

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dean,

My Colleague Andrew put me on the spot, regarding being a guru on fiber.  lets just say I have worked with a few fiber run in the past :-)

Whenever I see a question like yours I ask myself a few questions.

Has dean tried the topology  over a different fiber run and connectors and you said "  I have tested the Linksys switch on different fibre patch leads, diffrernt fibre runs in different locations, different RJ45 patch cables, different computers etc. but speeds never reach above 40MB/s"  So if you have tried a throughput test with the switches connected via a short run of fiber (maybe greater than one meter but less than say 100 meters), it would seem to me that there may be a issue with the only other components that are consistant in your setup. These components  are the two switches and the two MGBSX1 fiber SFP's.

How are you measuring throughput to precicely determine that speeds never reach above 40MB/sec ?

It would be wonderful to check on the;

1. ethernet port statistics for the fiber ports and

2. fiber uplink port port setting on both switches, and paste those in reply..

What I would be looking for are maybe high rates of CRC& Align Errors.   But, I would hope that the  fiber run within the suite is no longer than around  200 meters or if your not metric around 700 feet, if you are using 62.5/125um fiber .

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X