cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shaping GigE Interface to OC-12 Pipe

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

We have an OC-12 circuit (622Mbps) connected to our router's gigE interface (inter g1/0). Although the physocal interface is 1000Mbps the actual line speed is 622Mbps. If I get an offer load of 1 gig of data going through the interface, only 622Mb will be processed, while the remaining 378Mb will get queued or dropped. Does anyone have a shaping "configuration" that will shape/buffer the traffic once it it's 622Mbps.

My primary goal is to prevent ouput drop on the gigE interface as much possible. Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please specify what type of router? Shaping config should be similar to the following

policy-map SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 622000000

interface xxxx

service-policy out SHAPE

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

Hello David,

be aware that outbound shaping is not supported on all platforms for example on a standard GE port of a C6500/7600 just to make an example.

It is supported on routers and on WAN oriented modules of C6500/7600

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please specify what type of router? Shaping config should be similar to the following

policy-map SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 622000000

interface xxxx

service-policy out SHAPE

HTH,

jerry

Thanks Jerry.

Hello David,

be aware that outbound shaping is not supported on all platforms for example on a standard GE port of a C6500/7600 just to make an example.

It is supported on routers and on WAN oriented modules of C6500/7600

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe. I found that out today when I tried to configure it on an interface and it can back
"not supported on this interface" :-(

Hi David,

That was my first question to you initially "Please specify what type of router?".

Regards,

jerry

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card