cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shaping GigE Interface to OC-12 Pipe

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

We have an OC-12 circuit (622Mbps) connected to our router's gigE interface (inter g1/0). Although the physocal interface is 1000Mbps the actual line speed is 622Mbps. If I get an offer load of 1 gig of data going through the interface, only 622Mb will be processed, while the remaining 378Mb will get queued or dropped. Does anyone have a shaping "configuration" that will shape/buffer the traffic once it it's 622Mbps.

My primary goal is to prevent ouput drop on the gigE interface as much possible. Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please specify what type of router? Shaping config should be similar to the following

policy-map SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 622000000

interface xxxx

service-policy out SHAPE

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

Hello David,

be aware that outbound shaping is not supported on all platforms for example on a standard GE port of a C6500/7600 just to make an example.

It is supported on routers and on WAN oriented modules of C6500/7600

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please specify what type of router? Shaping config should be similar to the following

policy-map SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 622000000

interface xxxx

service-policy out SHAPE

HTH,

jerry

Thanks Jerry.

Hello David,

be aware that outbound shaping is not supported on all platforms for example on a standard GE port of a C6500/7600 just to make an example.

It is supported on routers and on WAN oriented modules of C6500/7600

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe. I found that out today when I tried to configure it on an interface and it can back
"not supported on this interface" :-(

Hi David,

That was my first question to you initially "Please specify what type of router?".

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco