PVC2300 PoE Query

Answered Question
Mar 3rd, 2010
User Badges:

Hiya,

I have a customer who has purchased a PVC2300 and would like to power it via PoE.

They needed something urgently for PoE and the only thing we had in stock was AIR-PWRINJ3= but this does not appear to work.

Technically AIR-PWRINJ3= provides standard PoE, and the PVC2300 says it  supports the same standard but the 2 do not work together for some reason.

Can you confirm why this would not work?

Thanks

Troy

Correct Answer by doishi about 7 years 4 months ago

Couple of clarifications:

1) Power over Ethernet is a 44V+ spec for power delivered over the ethernet port.  The 12V listing on the PVC2300 is the spec for the AC power cord

2) PWRINJ3 does work because it is not an 802.3af compliant device.  It add 15.4W to the ethernet line, but it uses an older Cisco POE spec.

You need to use an 802.3af compliant device to power the PVC2300.

Correct Answer by alissitz about 7 years 4 months ago

Hello,

Have you contacted the company you buy from?  They might be able to overnight something to you ...

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

Message was edited by: Andrew Lissitz

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
doishi Wed, 03/03/2010 - 18:45
User Badges:

Couple of clarifications:

1) Power over Ethernet is a 44V+ spec for power delivered over the ethernet port.  The 12V listing on the PVC2300 is the spec for the AC power cord

2) PWRINJ3 does work because it is not an 802.3af compliant device.  It add 15.4W to the ethernet line, but it uses an older Cisco POE spec.

You need to use an 802.3af compliant device to power the PVC2300.

tstairmand Wed, 03/03/2010 - 18:56
User Badges:

Hi Davin,

Thanks for the additional information, that makes a lot more sense as I thought the AIR-PWRINJ3= did support the 802.3af standard.

Thanks for your assistance guys.

Troy

alissitz Wed, 03/03/2010 - 19:05
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

That does make more sense ;-)

I thought it did too since it replaced the older one (version 2) which did not support standards.  I have to admit, finding info on the power injectors and the standards they supply is quite hard.

Correct Answer
alissitz Wed, 03/03/2010 - 18:29
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hello,

Have you contacted the company you buy from?  They might be able to overnight something to you ...

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

Message was edited by: Andrew Lissitz

Actions

This Discussion