cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Not-Optimising certain Applications

c.walsh
Level 3
Level 3

We have a problem with WAAS running between 2 sites, it is optimising traffic & appears to be OK.

yesterday one of the users could not open a large excel doc.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this, routing is fine as the user can ping the server.

Is there any reason why some traffic is optimised & other traffic appears not to be?

Is the only way to resolve this to put a sniffer on the network & capture the flow & check if it is being passed through & if so how to resolve?

Thanks

Colin

4 Replies 4

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Colin,

I would start by checking to see how WAAS is handling the connection.  You can do this with the sh stat conn command.  If the connection is being handled as pass-through, the ConnType will say why.  If the connection is being optimized, we can see which type of optimization is being applied based on the legend in the output.

Can you reproduce the issue with the Excel file?  Was it just a single user and this one file?  Could the user open other files?

Regards,

Zach

I checked the conections, with the show stat conn command, there was only one connection between the testing user's IP address & the IP address of the server. This was being optimised, but user could not open the file (large excel spreadsheet).

We also use WAAS mobile for remote users, but when they are at the remote site, WAAS mobile is normally disabled.

When i temporarily enabled WAAS mobile for this user, they could open the file in around 5 seconds.

Is there a way of confirming the actual flow, without using a sniffer?

Colin

Colin,

Are you able to reproduce the issue with this spreadsheet?

For additional troubleshooting specific to the CIFS AO, you can see the following:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_WAAS_Troubleshooting_Guide_for_Release_4.1.3_and_Later_--_Troubleshooting_Application_Acceleration#CIFS_Accelerator

Regards,

Zach

I tested the connection myself & it was optimising OK.

I then cleared the CIFS cache to time the download & it would not optimise that connection again.

As the documentation is for version 4.1.3, i upgraded from 4.1.1 to 4.1.3b.

Now, it does not optimise any traffic.

We have a 512 at one end & a NM-WAE in a 2811 at the remote site using WCCP.

The WAE's are registered with the Central Manager & wccp is redirecting traffic to the NM-WAE.

Is there something i am missing after an upgrade?

thanks Colin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: