Level 1
Level 1

Currently have this cluster config:

Publisher

Sub1

Sub2

MCS-7825-H3 with 2GB RAM and Two 160GB SATA HD: MCS-7825-H3-IPC1

CUCM 6.1.2.1000-13, no ES.

Checking the upgrade matrix - Table 7 Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for Release 6.1(5x), I don't see where I can jump to 6.1.5.  Am I reading that correct, that is, would I first need to upgrade to 6.1.4+ before I can upgrade to 6.1.5?

Or am I better off just upgrading to version 7.0.2 and then proceeding along the 7.x upgrade path?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes, you are reading it correctly.. you often have to hop through different versions.

I would normally go to the latest version you can if you are going to the effort of upgrading... the 7.x releases have been quite stable so I would aim to get to a 7.1 release.

Of course, I'm assuming that you have a good reason to upgrade - I would normally only upgrade in order to get a particular feature, address security alerts, or to maintain supportability...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes, you are reading it correctly.. you often have to hop through different versions.

I would normally go to the latest version you can if you are going to the effort of upgrading... the 7.x releases have been quite stable so I would aim to get to a 7.1 release.

Of course, I'm assuming that you have a good reason to upgrade - I would normally only upgrade in order to get a particular feature, address security alerts, or to maintain supportability...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hey Aaron-

Thanks, yes it is in response to

Advisory ID: cisco-sa-20100303-cucm.

Hi Kelly

So assuming that you are entitled to major software releases (i.e. under UCSS or  whatever), and that you don't have other applications that do not support the new version, I would aim for a 7.1 release.

If you need to stay within the 6.x release to maintain support with other apps or because you are only covered for maintenance releases then go to 6.1(5)... as you've seen, the difference in effort won't be much as either way you will have to do multiple upgrade steps.

The main difficultly with multi-hop upgrades is that you lose the easy rollback capability - if you have a major problem after going through the upgrades you need to do a media build and restore.

Regards

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: