Views
Helpful
Replies

Separate codec for certain DNs

fieryhail
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I'm running into a situation where I have a user that will be using IP Communicator over a low speed WAN link.  I use the g.711u codec primarily for everything, MoH, IP Phones, etc.  It is just this user (at least for now) that with the speed of their connection g.711u is not good.  I am running CUCM 6.01 and an h.323 gateway (Cisco 3745).  What I'd like to do is to have calls that go out to DN 1007 use the g.729 codec instead, hopefully this will enable him to use IPC with the lower speed.  Any ideas on how I would accomplish such a feat?  I'm sure it will require some modification on both the CUCM side as well as router side.  Thanks for the help.

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try checking the Optimize for  Low Bandwidth option in the CIPC under the audio tab.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for the response, that does appear to work...partially.  But now I am running into the issue of one way audio.  The end user can hear me or other people fine albeit with the lower audio quality expected from using g.729 vs. g.711 but no one can hear him.  No network settings have changed and this artifact only shows up now with the low-bandwidth option selected.  He is connecting via the Cisco VPN client to an EasyVPN server.  The VPN tunnel seems fine and the one-way audio doesn't seem to be present when using the g.711u (normal bandwidth) when he is connected via VPN through either a hardwired or standard wireless link.  I believe it has something to do with the change to a different codec.  Perhaps a codec mismatch issue?  If so, where would I go to solve this?  The h.323 gateway?  I'm still new to this so am unsure, any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: