Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping my own IP address

I can't ping my own IP address on switch Cisco2960. I have an identical configuration with exception of IP addresses on it's partner primary switch but I can't ping the IP address of the secondary\backup switch and I could ping the IP address on primary switch.

Please advise.

June

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

june_encarnacion wrote:

I can't ping my own IP address on switch Cisco2960. I have an identical configuration with exception of IP addresses on it's partner primary switch but I can't ping the IP address of the secondary\backup switch and I could ping the IP address on primary switch.

Please advise.

June

Hello June,

Is the backup switch IP in the same subnet as the primary?  Since the 2960s are layer-2 devices you can only have one IP address (svi) at the time and that is for management.

HTH

Reza

Hello Reza,

Thanks for responding to my post.Yes,  the backup switch IP address is in the same subnet as the primary.

June

Hello June,

So you have an svi configured on each switch and gave it an IP address in the same subnet? Did you also remember to add a port to the vlan?

What is the status of the vlan and the physical interface?

Can you post the config from both switches?

HTH

Reza

Reza,

Please see the configuration below...

(primary)

interface Vlan1
description 1X00507G24-2960.0401
ip address 192.168.83.33 255.255.254.0
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip route-cache
load-interval 30

(backup)

interface Vlan1
description 1X00507G24-2960.0401
ip address 192.168.83.34 255.255.254.0
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip route-cache
load-interval 30

Thanks,

June

What physical port is added to vlan 1 on each switch?

can you post the config?

are they in up and up mode?

what does "sh ip int brie" shows?

Reza

Reza,

Yes, they are all in up mode. I could actually ping the workstations connected in the backup switch from a different location but not the backup IP address.I'll try to check tomorrow the "sh ip int brie" shows" tomorrow when I get back at site.

Regards,

June

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: