Views
Helpful
Replies

is this dial peer required?

minghui.qi
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

In a common environment, CUCM 6 with H323 gateway and ISDN on ramp. I have seen this dial peer. what's the point of it? is it ensential? I can see the Outbound status of it is always down when doing show dial-peer voice summary.

dial-peer voice 1 pots
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0:15
forward-digits all

thank you..

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is essential, without you would receive dialtone when calling in. However, yuo can eliminate.

port 0/0/0:15
forward-digits all

That are ineffective of inbound digital DPs.

iantra123
Level 3
Level 3

If you want inbound call then you have to add the T string to accept all inbound digits, not just one.

In addition of bevilaqua you have to remove the dial-peer and rebuild

You will have this conf :

dial-peer voice 1 pots
incoming called-number .T
direct-inward-dial

incoming called-number .T

On incoming DPs T is never considered, as is easy to test.

Being pedantic, one could use ".*", meaning "any digit repeated zero or more times".

However in practice "." works in all the cases where some called number is sent.

You're right.

Thank you.

thank you guys...

now my questions is:

1, to p.bevilacqua, could you please explain more about the difference in terms of dial tone? you mean without the DID command, the caller will hear dial tone before the called phone is answered??

2, this is quote from Cisco CUCM SRND 6.x:

======

Observe the following best practices when configuring H.323 dial peers on a Cisco IOS router:

To ensure that incoming PSTN calls are directly routed to their destination based on the DNIS
information, create a default POTS dial peer with the direct-inward-dial attribute, as follows:

dial-peer voice 999 pots
  incoming called-number .
  direct-inward-dial
  port 1/0:23

=====

I agree that you don't need to specify "port 1/0:23", is there any reason why it's in the best practice sample config?

thanks guys.

Older IOS versions required port to be always present even for digital interface. You can still find it in some documentation.

But is not necessary anymore.