cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC Desk Phone Control Issue

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

I am struggling with getting Desk phone working.  I have done everything that is recommended except for changing the Ldap port on the CCM.  I have changed the port on the CUPS to the global catalog.  I have restarted the CTI Manager on all CCM's and I have changed the CTI Timer to 300 and restarted the services again.  I have done my best to verify that the user/phone is allowed for CTI access.  I can use the click to dial application without issue so I would expect the phone and user to be configured correctly.  Soft phone controll works with out issue.  After changing to timer I do see (on occasion) the Server Health respond that Desk Phone (CTI) is working and it has my device listed...but when I attempt to change to that device I go into disabled immediately.  If the solution is to change the CCM Ldap port what issue could that cause for my CCM users/directory listings?

TIA,

Thanks,

Joe

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

So we back to square one. 

The fix is very simple:

1) Change LDAP authentication to use GC (port 3268).

2) Restart CTIManager

Michael

View solution in original post

Hi Joe

Well - all I can tell you is that if I set my photo attribute to http://x.x.x.x/%%uid%%.jpeg, CUPC doesn't request anything.

If I set it to sAMAccountName, it requests jpegs for each of the people in my contact list at startup.

I can only presume that CUPS server itself is doing something a little more intelligent...

Have a look at your uid property in AD, if it's blank, then why use it?

It's in the manual:

Fetching Contact Pictures from a Web Server

You can configure a parameterized URL in the Photo field in the LDAP attribute map in Cisco Unified Presence Administration so that Cisco Unified Personal Communicator can fetch pictures from a web server instead of from the LDAP server.

Before You Begin

Use %%uid%% as the substitution string.

You can use any LDAP attribute whose query value contains a piece of data that uniquely identifies the photo of the user. For example:

http://wwwin.cisco.com/photo/std/%%uid%%.jpg

http://wwwin.cisco.com/photo/std/%%sAMAccountName%%.jpg (for ActiveDirectory)

The double percent symbols are required, and they must enclose the name of the LDAP attribute to substitute.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

36 Replies 36

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Click-2-Dial Widget basically piggy backs on the WebDialer service, so that working isn't really comparable to CUPC desk phone mode - with CUPC, the actual CTI is CTIQBE from CUPC direct to the CCM CTI service, using the users credentials. Click-2-Dial goes vai the webdialer that uses different servers.

So - my checklist:

1) User is added to 'Standard CTI Enabled' group in CCM

2) User is associated to either the physical desk phone (i.e. the SEPxxx device) or the EM Profile

3) User has the 'Primary Extension' set to a valid line - this tells CUPC to try to control that line

4) Allow Control of Device via CTI is checked on the user account, and on the physical phone

5) In CUPS admin, the user is set to a CTI profile that includes the correct servers

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...    

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Using Global Catalog (GC) port for LDAP authentication is recommended by Cisco.  Because GC port doesn't have to do LDAP referral thus provide better response time on authenticaiton.

Chaing authentication port on CUCM won't cause any outgage (you're just making it better).  However, for the change to take effect, you'll have to restart Cisco Tomcat service (on CUCM and CUPS).  During restart, all web-related service would be impacted, including:

• Web page navigation (CCMAdmin or CCMUser)
  • Extension Mobility Login
  • Phone Directory lookup

Voice services (phone calls) are not affected.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Hi

LDAP is used in CUPC for directory lookups and searches.. nothing to do with deskphone control as far as I recall.

Regards

Aaron

It depends on which LDAP you're talking about.

If you're talking CUPS > Application > Cisco Unified Personal Communicator > LDAP.  That's for contact search only.

If you're talking CUCM > System > LDAP > LDAP Authentication.  It plays an important role on CUPC desk phone control.

Michael

Well - yeah, it authenticates the user. So it auths at login, and it auths the CTI control request... as he's logged in, it must be OK.

So it's down to the user/device config...right?

If it was that simple, there wouldn't be so many desk phone control issues. 

When the user logs in, CUPC authenticates via SOAP protocol, which based on HTTP.  In the background, any HTTP authentication would trigger Java authenticate module, which is more tolerent to LDAP referral and timeout.

When the user tries to get desk phone control, CUPC authenticates via CTI protocol.  In the background, CTIManager would trigger the C++ authenticate module, which is very sensitive to LDAP referral and timeout.

Michael

I see...

All is forgiven :-)

Ok so I have made the port change on the Ldap in CCM and restarted Tomcat on all CCUM servers as well as the CUP server.  Desk Phone shows connected but I still can't switch to it.  Clicking on Desk Phone never changes the state, stays @ a disable.

Thanks,

Joe

Ok, I am still having issues with this...Still can't switch to Desk Phone mode but when I go offhook on the desk phone the personal communicator states phone is off hook.  I can switch to soft phone without issue and place calls.  I don't know if it matters but this is a lab install with the demo license.  Another thing that I have noticed is that the users on the CUP server all show that they are licensed for both presence and cupc.  In the CCM I only have 1 user licensed.  I am trying to get this going so I can do a demo for Brass.

Thanks,

Joe

When CUPS is on demo license, it'll automatically license every user.  That's by designed.

For the desk phone issue, could you upload some screenshots?

Thanks!

Michael

Here is a sceen shot of the Server Health.  What other screen shots would you like?

Thanks,

Joe

I would like to see the "problem".  From the screenshots you attached, I don't see any problem with desk phone (it doesn't mean there's no problem.  I'm just not able to see it from the screenshot).

Could you capture some screenshot of the problem?  And could you enable detailed logging from CUPC > Help?

Once you created the problem, you may create a problem report from CUPC > Help.

Upload the screenshot and problem report here.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Joe

It can be quite confusing to work out why some things appear to work, and some don't.. so:

- 'On the phone' status - this is actually signalled over the SIP trunk to CUPS (usually via the PUBLISH trunk, based on the user being linked to the line appearance) so it's not related to the way the desk phone control works

- Softphone mode - this pulls a config from TFTP, and registers as a SIP phone - again, not using any CTI type functions really.

Are you using EM? I've seen on a few occasions that when initially setting these systems up the Desk Phone refuses to play until the EM phone has been logged out and in again..

Since you only have problems with the Desk Phone stuff, you could get the TSP downloaded from your CCM, install it on a PC, and configure it using the user's credentials. Once you've restarted, get the Julmar phone.exe, and use that to see if you can control your deskphone. That will prove you have that side of things correctly configured.

Regards

Aaron

Here is the Problem report and a few screen shots.  Notice that the "choose phone to control" is grayed out.  I attempted to changed to desk phone @ 7:45 this morning.

Aaron I will try your suggestions this morning for verifying the connection between the application and ccm.

Thanks,

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: