newbie: struggling with AIR-LAP1242

Answered Question
Mar 5th, 2010
User Badges:

I bought a cisco AIR-LAP1242AG-E-K9 and I can't do a thing with it. I have another cisco AP which is an AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 and that has a web interface and the CLI commands work. What does the 'L' mean in real terms? I know it stands for lightweight but I've set an ip address in the LAP1242 but I can't get any web interface up and I simply want to use the device as a wireless access point  Have I bought a lemon?

Correct Answer by Kayle Miller about 7 years 2 months ago

Tony,

the "L" does indeed stand for Lightweight; that means that in order for that access point to function it needs to be connected to a Cisco Wireless Lan Controller (WLC). In lightweight mode all the configuration is done on the WLC, the AP is much like a dumb terminal. So your AP is behaving exactly as it should, as there is no web interface.  If you wish to utilize that AP just like your existing one, you will need to convert it to IOS and make it a stand-alone access point.

To do this you will need and IOS Image for that AP, a TFTP Server, and follow the directions in this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1240/installation/guide/124h_c3.html#wp1038660

Hope this helps.. Feel free to rate it.

Thanks,

Kayle

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Kayle Miller Fri, 03/05/2010 - 08:20
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Tony,

the "L" does indeed stand for Lightweight; that means that in order for that access point to function it needs to be connected to a Cisco Wireless Lan Controller (WLC). In lightweight mode all the configuration is done on the WLC, the AP is much like a dumb terminal. So your AP is behaving exactly as it should, as there is no web interface.  If you wish to utilize that AP just like your existing one, you will need to convert it to IOS and make it a stand-alone access point.

To do this you will need and IOS Image for that AP, a TFTP Server, and follow the directions in this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1240/installation/guide/124h_c3.html#wp1038660

Hope this helps.. Feel free to rate it.

Thanks,

Kayle

tonyspcrepairs Sat, 03/06/2010 - 03:03
User Badges:

thanks for your response kayle, the link you gave resolved my problem. I now have the LAP running with a web gui.

Actions

This Discussion