cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Register LAP 1130 with WLC 4402 through 1310 Bridge (WGB role)

ahmedbishry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a mesh network with LAP 1522 and WLC 4402 in main site.

I add a branch site to the mesh network, I used in the branch site AP 1310 Bridge  (with WGB role) and behind the WGB (work group bridge) there is a Cisco switch 2960 Catalyst, I tried to add a LAP 1130 on this branch but the WLC see the new LAP 1130 as a Wired client to WGB and not as a wireless AP, I tried everything I know to make the LAP register on the WLC from the branch site behind the WGB, but it didn’t work, when I bring the same LAP 1130 to main site and put it on the switch it register immediately with WLC, please if there is any one can help me.

Your quick response will be highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well that is tough... unless you go bridge to bridge, you might have to use the 1130's in autonomous mode and not lightweight.  Again, do you have the budget to use 1500 at the remote sites and RMA the 1310's.  You can also test it out using the 1131 as a MAP.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know if there is a way to get that to work... Have you tried to configure that 1131 as an H-REAP AP and see if that will work for you?  I would set it up at your main site then move it to your remote office.

-Scott

Thanks SCOTT FELLA for your soon reply,   

I did that also, I put the LAP 1130 on the main site and it download the image successfully from the WLC, joining an AP group and then I send it to brunch site, but when I put it on the switch behind the WGB then it appears in WLC again as a wired client and I cannot control it or change either the status of it or the AP group for it, when I put my pc in branch site I got a DHCP address and I can ping the GW and the WLC.

Thanks SCOTT FELLA for your soon reply,

I did that also, I put the LAP 1130 on the main site and it download the

image successfully from the WLC, joining an AP group and then I send it to

brunch site, but when I put it on the switch behind the WGB then it appears in

WLC again as a wired client and I cannot control it or change either the status

of it or the AP group for it, when I put my pc in branch site I got a DHCP

address and I can ping the GW and the WLC.

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:27:52 -0700

To: ahmedbishry@hotmail.com

Subject: New message: "Register LAP 1130 with WLC 4402 through 1310 Bridge (WGB role)"

ahmedbishry,

A new message was posted in the Discussion thread "Register LAP 1130 with WLC 4402 through 1310 Bridge (WGB role)":

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3030699#3030699

Author : SCOTT FELLA

Email : scott.fella@cdw.com

Profile : https://supportforums.cisco.com/people/fella5

Did you set the AP to H-REAP mode or did you leave it in Local mode.  Here is a doc to review:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

-Scott

Hi FELLA,

Thanks again for your reply,

I put the LAP 1130 on the Main site and I used the H-REAP option for the LAP 1130 after that I put the LAP 1130 with H-REAP option on the Remote office and again its failed to join the WLC and the WLC see it as wired client through the WGB, also the WLC can ping the IP Address of the LAP 1130, any thing else I can do?

Well you did say you have a MESH backhaul.... why not setup another 1131 or use a 1240 or 1520 as a MAP to do bridge to bridge.  Then you can eliminate the WGB from the network.

-Scott

Hi FELLA,

Thanks again for your great effort,

I attached to you the original design of my network and you can see we already purchase about 40 AP 1310 to use the AP 1310 WGB in our network as a link for the new remote site and I face this problem in the first remote office that I want to setup, what to do? Please advice.

Well that is tough... unless you go bridge to bridge, you might have to use the 1130's in autonomous mode and not lightweight.  Again, do you have the budget to use 1500 at the remote sites and RMA the 1310's.  You can also test it out using the 1131 as a MAP.

-Scott

It sure would be great if the 1310 could do Mesh/Bridging, then your problem would be solved.

However, as you stated, the APs are showing up as clients to the WLC, which is expected for WGB Clients.

And if an AP is listed as a WGB Client, I presume the controller wouldn't know how to add it as an AP.

It "Might" work if you had the AP join a different WLC than the WLC it is a WGB-Client too, but you'd have to test that.  I wouldn't be surprised if the WLC drops the Capwap/Lwapp packets though instead of forwarding to the WGB-Client.  You'd just have to mock this up, assuming you have a 2nd WLC...

You are most likely going to either need autonomous bridging site to site, or you need something at the remote end that will join as a Mesh/Bridge (1130/1240/1520). Perhaps a 1242s with an External 802.11A antenna....?

Hi
I think that the only solution is make IOS 1300 to 1300 bridge connection to the remote site from the nearest 1500 Ethernet port.
But to do this You need 2 time more 1300 APs.
Mesh AP in the remote is not good idea as You will need there all AP as mesh.
IOS AP 1230 in remote? I do not think so. I am not sure it will work (wireless users will have to be wire client of the WGB) and for sure it is not convenient.
regards

Dear Dszendol,

Thanks for your Kindly reply,

After I talk with my friend FELLA, I knew that there is not possible to the AP 1310 to be associate with LAP1522 as I want to work (add a LAP1130 after the WGB to be register in the WLC) so I will use AP1310 in Root Bridge in the main site and for the remote site I will put AP1310 Non-Root Bridge for multi remote site,

It will be at the end like point to multi point bridging link.

Thanks a lot for you corporation,

Ahmed

Dear Wetterry,

Thanks for your Kindly reply,

After I talk with my friend FELLA, I knew that there is not possible to the AP 1310 to be associate with LAP1522 as I want to work (add a LAP1130 after the WGB to be register in the WLC) so I will use AP1310 in Root Bridge in the main site and for the remote site I will put AP1310 Non-Root Bridge for multi remote site,

It will be at the end like point to multi point bridging link.

Thanks a lot for you corporation,

Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: