Predictive Outbound tuning parameter for agent idle time.

Unanswered Question
Mar 5th, 2010

UCCE 7.5.7 with predictive outbound dialer. Now have 500 agents with 270 dialer ports, Customer compain about the agent have to wait the next call so long time (agent is in reserved state so long time before the next call come in). Please, suggest which report and parameter that I have to analyze and tune it. Because I've tried to change the Max Line per Agent and Max Abandon% but it's still slow. The avg reserve(hold) per agent about 50 sec. That I think it slower than normal call by agent. Please, advise. Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Interesting problem. That's a big Outbound installation. I don't have that much experience with the Outbound Dialer running in predictive mode in a production deployment.

Although Cisco call this a predictive dialer it doesn't predict when an agent will become available and place outbound calls in advance. I believe that true predictive dialers (Davox, Melita etc) used to do that, and prided themselves on their algorithms to guess when to place the call.

The way the Cisco Dialer works is it is triggered by an agent becoming available in the skill group. It sends the reservation call and then it places a number of oubound calls. It uses an algorithm to determine how many calls to place (up to the Max Lines setting) to approach closely the maximum abandoned call limit. This calculation tries to maximize the number of calls placed, up to the limit, by looking at rolling statistics. I don't know how to tune this.

When the dialer places a number of calls, it's looking for a person to answer, so uses CPA (Call Progress Analysis) to detect answering machines, modems, fax machines, SIT tones, network voicemail etc. There are parameters (registry settings) that can be adjusted for CPA, but this is hairy stuff. When it connects it needs that agent.

If it overdials, it needs to connect those back to a queue - do you have that set up?

If a high percentage of your customer calls are hitting answering machines etc (pretty common these days) then I can imagine it's taking a while to get a connection.

I do think that with such a big Outbound deployment you would be wise to request TAC help here.

Regards,

Geoff

Edward Umansky Sat, 03/06/2010 - 10:38

Time between calls (reserved or idle time) is directly dependent on your hit rate. The dialer will only transfer calls when it successfully reaches a customer, so if reaching a customer takes a long time, your agents will also be waiting a long time. To decrease your idle time, you need to increase your number of hits, which means you either need to dial faster or manage your list so the contacts are higher quality (more likely to hit).

There are a lot of things that can affect dialing speed: your max abandon limit, max lines per agent, ratio of dialer ports to available agents, number of rings for no answer, list quality, dialer registry settings, answering machine detect behavior, relative size of outbound skill groups, configuration errors, system errors, incorrect hardware, etc. There is a dialer report in WebView that tells you if the Dialer was running out of ports. You should also consult the Cisco Outbound User guide for guidance on monitoring and configuring the dialer. Beyond that, you will need to work with TAC or a Cisco partner with expertise in this area to find out what you are running into here.

In regard to your comment about it being slower than normal call by agent, keep in mind that while the agent is sitting reserved, the dialer is busily dialing customers (assuming it's working correctly). As long as the dialer is averaging more than one line per agent, then it is working faster than an agent can dialing manually (and don't forget it's also automatically dispositioning calls).

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content