cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960PD actually getting power via PoE?

bmagedanz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've got a C2960PD-8TT-L that is supposed to be able to take PoE over it's 10/100/1000 port (which also bears the label 'PoE Input'). I'm trying to power it from a C3524-PWR-XL and it is not working. I've tried about everything at this point. It works fine with a 48v brick plugged into the AC input on the back but I can't get it to come up with PoE. I've tried the 3524 switch (which powers an Aironet and a 7960 phone just fine) and an external PoE injector with no success. If it's powered from the wall, the 3524 is showing it as ILP-Device unknown.

Is there some trick I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Byron

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is CDP enabled on both switches?

Yes, CDP is enabled and they both show up:

c2960#sho cdp nei

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID

c3524            Gig 0/1           157           T S      WS-C3524- Fas 0/14

_____

c3524#sho cdp nei

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID

c2960            Fas 0/14           133         S I       WS-C2960PDGig 0/1

kmccourt
Level 1
Level 1

I suspect you may have a mismatch between the older pre-standard PoE implementation of the C3524-PWR-XL and the 802.3af PoE standard supported on the C2960PD-8TT-L.

Was the PoE injector you tried out 802.3af compliant?

Ok, that's interesting... Maybe not.

The power injector I tried was an old Aironet injector, AIR-PWRINJ3.There is no 802.3af compliance markings on it, so I'm guessing probably not.

If that's the case, is there a workaround?

Thanks again.

The AIR-PWRINJ3 is pretty old and I suspect it predates the standard. However I may have one in the office and if so I'll try it out on our C2960-PD-8TT-L later today to test if it works.

Also, according to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/prod_qas0900aecd80322c37.html, "the Cisco Catalyst 2960PD-8TT-L can be powered by  another PoE switch, a power adaptor or power injectors that support  802.3af, including AIR-PWRINJ4."

I'm afraid I know of some solutions to get pre-802.3af equipment to work with 802.3af PoE power sources, but not the other way round. Maybe someone else can help on that one?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: