Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM V4 to CUCM V7 migration

jedellerby
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This seems to be a very common subject and I bet my answers are embedded across many posts already ... apologies if they are!

I'm running through an upgrade of IPCC to version 7, involving CMgr 4.1.3 -> CUCM 7 as part of the process. As this is IPCC and involves painful upgrade components such as IPIVR (a major saga!!) I need to run the process through a lab env in VMs. For the CMgr -> CUCM 7 upgrade I run through DMA, but I get stumped trying to bring anything online as the system isn't licensed, the regular 50 DLUs aren't available with a DMA based build.

So, given this is a lab build and I don't have the real MAC address yet, how do I go about trying to get my lab based CUCM runing enough to test out some phones and agents?

If I go ahead and and get the license now I will have several follow on issues I need to answer:

1) Can I easily change the MAC address associated with the CUCM licensing for when the real hardware arrives?

2) Can I add more phone licenses from the oirginal CMgr build onto this license as the customer doesn't have all the phones installed at this moment in time, hence the DMA is not the final DMA that we will use for the build?

Can I pull a 50 DLU from another CUCM build and paste it inot my lab build and tweak the MAC addressing?

I've also seen this option for licensing in the upgrade guide, but I don't find the 'Destination Option for License File' available in DMA, so exactly what is this option offering?

"Procedure 2

Step 1 To specify a local directory destination for the license file licupgrade.lic, use the Data Migration Assistant's Export > Storage Location > Destination Option for License File tool.

Note Do not specify a mapped network directory for the Local Directory. If you do, DMA may not be able to create the destination folder.

Step 2 Upload the software license file to the server of the first node of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster.

Step 3 After you upload the license file, you must obtain and upload license files for existing nodes and devices, as described in "Upgrading Product Licenses" section. "

Thanks for any pointers,

Jed

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can't edit the license files in any way; they are digitally signed, so any edits will invalidate the signature and they won't upload.

I'm not sure whether there are restrictions on the number of times that Licensing would issue these things, but I've had many occasions where I needed to get licenses re-issued with new MACs in order to cover motherboard or server swaps etc. I believe they won't issue licenses to VMWare MAC addresses as current versions aren't supported in virtual environments. You could, if you have the linux skills, get a license issued for your real server MAC address and reconfigure your Linux OS in VMWare to use that MAC.

WIth regards to adding other phones to the system - DMA generates a license and config based on what is configured in the 4.x database. So if your customer has a store cupboard with 500 phones in in, BAT those in (with just minimal config, and an easily-BAT-selectable description or other field), do DMA, you will get the correct licenses, and then if you like use the description field to search and delete then until you are ready to BAT them in properly later.

I guess that option you listed steps for is to allow you to get the Interim license file when DMA is outputting - typically what we normally do is run DMA, take the .tar output, load it to CM6, and then download the Interim license from the 6.x machine and send it off to Cisco. With that option you could export the license and have it sent off to Cisco to streamline your 6.x build.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

Anything related to moving licenses between systems need to be addressed by our licensing team at licensing@cisco.com.

ANY manual modification to the file will make it an invalid license.

Send them the licenses and explain them you want to rehost them to this new MAC address and you'll get a new file.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can't edit the license files in any way; they are digitally signed, so any edits will invalidate the signature and they won't upload.

I'm not sure whether there are restrictions on the number of times that Licensing would issue these things, but I've had many occasions where I needed to get licenses re-issued with new MACs in order to cover motherboard or server swaps etc. I believe they won't issue licenses to VMWare MAC addresses as current versions aren't supported in virtual environments. You could, if you have the linux skills, get a license issued for your real server MAC address and reconfigure your Linux OS in VMWare to use that MAC.

WIth regards to adding other phones to the system - DMA generates a license and config based on what is configured in the 4.x database. So if your customer has a store cupboard with 500 phones in in, BAT those in (with just minimal config, and an easily-BAT-selectable description or other field), do DMA, you will get the correct licenses, and then if you like use the description field to search and delete then until you are ready to BAT them in properly later.

I guess that option you listed steps for is to allow you to get the Interim license file when DMA is outputting - typically what we normally do is run DMA, take the .tar output, load it to CM6, and then download the Interim license from the 6.x machine and send it off to Cisco. With that option you could export the license and have it sent off to Cisco to streamline your 6.x build.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

aaronharrison wrote:

Hi

Regards

Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not looking to edit the file in anyway, I just want to pick up the contents and move it to another system. I'd be doubtfull this was possible but just a desperate attempt o get my setup running sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure whether there are restrictions on the number of times that. Licensing would issue these things, but I've had many occasions where I needed to get licenses re-issued with new MACs in order to cover motherboard or server swaps etc. I believe they won't issue licenses to VMWare MAC addresses as current versions aren't supported in virtual environments. You could, if you have the linux skills, get a license issued for your real server MAC address and reconfigure your Linux OS in VMWare to use that MAC.

OK, thought as much and good to get this confirmed. VMServer can take any MAC address you give it but ESX won't it has to be configured in the guest. In the case of CUCM7 this would be a locked down Linux build so I doubt there's any chance to change the MAC address. So, looks like I'd have to run the CUCM7 build in VMServer and not ESX to get the MAC address spoof to work.

Yes, I've been poushing them to do this for a while, it's just a question of project timings that are not owrking out.

The odd thing about this approach is I don't see the option available in DMA, maybe my DMA version is not the latest.

Thanks

Jed

Anything related to moving licenses between systems need to be addressed by our licensing team at licensing@cisco.com.

ANY manual modification to the file will make it an invalid license.

Send them the licenses and explain them you want to rehost them to this new MAC address and you'll get a new file.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Java.

I've built CUCM 7 with a new 'real' MAC now and the license setup is working fine, so when the real HW arrives I'll go to licensing to sort it.

Now I'm battling to find an IVR7 license as my PAC codes aren't working. Licensing is extra busy at the mo so response is slow. I'm sure there's a CRS demo license somewhere on Cisco, but of course I can't find it now. If anyboday has any ideas .. pls point me in the right direction!

Thanks

Jed

The license request took a matter of hours, so very good turn around for getting the new license sorted out with a new MAC address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: