Views
Helpful
Replies

workstations loose connectivity to gateway periodically

bbuhlman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm working on a small LAN with WinXP workstations and a 2621 router as a gateway. Randomly workstations loose connectivity to the gateway. Cannot ping the router interface at fa0/0. If I repair the connection on the workstation it fixes the issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Just clarify the below questions

1.Is your DHCP server is configured on the windows server or the router is acting as a DHCP server,

2.paste the output of the command #sh run int f0/0

Regards

Karuppu

Hi,

The windows server is the DHCP server. Router is not acting at DHCP.

interface FastEthernet0/0

description Local LAN

ip address 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

no ip mroute-cache

speed 100

full-duplex

Hi,

First you need to configure ip helper-address command in f0/0 interface to forward all the DHCP request from the desktops to DHCP server.

(config)# int f0/0

(config-if)#ip helper-address 

Parallelly check the leased time in your DHCP server for this DHCP pool

Regards
Karuppu

Thanks,

The dhcp server is on the same LAN as the workstations, doesn't everyone on the LAN look at the UDP broadcasts? I added the helper address anyway and the lease time is 8 days.

could we have a brief description of your LAN. i've some few questions regarding your issue:

1. are you using wireless LAN for PC/laptop connectivity?

2. is there a LAN switch between PCs and router? PC --> SWITCH --> ROUTER; if yes, what is the speed/duplex on LAN switch port?

3. what does your router syslogs shows (show log)? check the same if using LAN switch

4. kindly provide your PC tracert to LAN gateway

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card