wlc-DNS issue

Unanswered Question
Mar 7th, 2010

the wireless accee point (1131) is connected to WLC (2112).AP is registered with WLC and user are getting connected to AP.Users are getting ip address from the external server (wlc working as relay)

all services are working fine but users are getting issue when connecting to print server.as per their normal practice users connecting to print server with dns name.users are bale to connect to print server with ip address but not with dns name.if in the same vlan we connect wired user then the user able  to connect to print server with dns but wireless user in same vlan not able to connect to print server with domain name.

we tried mentioning the dns host name in virtual interface also but no change,

As wlc acting just as relay in this config i feel for this particular dns issue wlc should not have any problem but want to corss check for the same from experts.

please reply.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Mon, 03/08/2010 - 06:30

That is weird.... so the wireless users and the print servers are on the same vlan and if they use and ip address instead of the DNS name, they can connect?  Wired clients work fine, so if you do an nslookup from a wireless client, does that resolve the DNS to IP?

sameermunj Mon, 03/08/2010 - 06:44

Thanks for your reply.

its really my mistake during troubleshooting that i havent checked the point mentioned by you about nslookup on print server domain name to check its resolving or not.i will check the same and let u know

if its resolving means dns functionality working fine on the wireless user machine.

on the virtual interface i could found option to make entry for dns name where we tried putting the domain name and tried after saving and resetting the wlc but no diffrence.

do you really feel wlc has anything to relate for this particular problem ??? from the documentation what i found is if i am using internal dhcp server then i need to mention the dns server ip address but in case of external dhcp server we dont have to mention dns server in dns.

our wireless machine getting ip config along with dns server from external dhcp server.

if any other input please do share.

Scott Fella Mon, 03/08/2010 - 07:15

The Virtual Interface DNS entry is not for what you are doing... it is used when you are using a certificate so you can resolve the certificate FQDN to the VIP.

sameermunj Mon, 03/08/2010 - 07:41

Thanks for your input.

any solution to my problem ?? or is it out of context of wlc..

please suggest

Scott Fella Mon, 03/08/2010 - 07:50

Since you are using an external dhcp server, then you already specified the DNS servers in the dhcp scope.  Using a wireless device, you were able to associate and authenticate and everything works... internel, mail, etc, except for the print server correct?  Have you done the nslookup from a wireless client?

This Discussion