cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 851w with Virgin Media

moamoamoamoa
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone in the UK that can offer any assistance with setting up my new router?  I thought using SDM would be fairly straight forward (I know little CLI) but I'm struggling to get the LAN / WAN up and running?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marc

Can you post the config you have so far ?

Also do you know how to console into the router and get access to the CLI so that if i need you to add some commands you could do this ?

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marc

Can you post the config you have so far ?

Also do you know how to console into the router and get access to the CLI so that if i need you to add some commands you could do this ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.  After a lot of trouble with the router I finally managed to get connected to the web and I have setup my wireless network.

Marc

Be sure you use the SDM to setup ACLs for you... If you do the Firewall - Low method, that is usually sufficient for general use. If you do not configure ACLs, all your ports will be visible on the internet.

Steven,  thanks for the reply.  I have Cisco CP express and not SDM.  Can I download SDM from this site anywhere and how easy are the ACLs to setup?

Regards,

Marc

You can download SDM from the cisco site at:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sdm

You will need to be registered I think (not sure if its a separate account from support forums). When downloading it will ask for username/password, just use your cisco login information.

Setting up the ACLs from scratch is kind hard in my opinion, but I'm still new to ACLs, and I'm still in school (we haven't covered ACLs yet).

ACLs were the only thing I setup from SDM (Firewall option = ACLs); I used the Firewall - Low option, and it did exactly what I wanted it to -- closed up all my ports from internet access. Configuring the ACLs with SDM is a breeze, just a few clicks and you're done. Be sure to have the following lines in your running-config to connect via SDM:

ip http server

The SDM will connect to any interface IP Address through a vty line.

If you need any other CLI help with the 851, I can probably help.. I just setup my 851 recently.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.  I'll have a go at the weekend and see how I get on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card