Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 3750 G question

Googi1974
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Pros-

We have recently taken on a 3rd party service to monitor our Cisco infrastructure. On Friday 3 alerts were generated related to switches in one of our stacks Not Responding/Device Down -- I'm not sure if they meant ports or the switch itself. My issue is with the below response from one of my team members regarding these alerts:

"...these were on individual ports going down and up. This could be a result of someone disconnecting a laptop from a conference room, Service Desk resetting a phone, Help Desk moving a phone/computer, etc."

Is that statment valid? Does a port on a switch go down when you connect a device to the other end? I find it hard to believe that a NOC would be monitoring for these events if such routine activities can trigger these alerts. I'm grateful for any clarification which can be provided as I obviously have much to learn.

Thanks,

Kelly

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kelly

A port will go from up to  down if a device that was connected to the switch is disconnected and it will go from down to up if a device is connected to it. So it could well be a user in a conference room for example attaching a laptop and then taking it with them when their meeting was finished.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Under certain circumstances, interoperability issues between Cisco switches and various NICs can result in continuous or intermittent link up/down situations. These link up/down situations are usually a result of power management features or jitter tolerance issues associated with the NIC.

• For link up/down situations for CatOS, these messages appear and are normal for link up/down situations:

PAGP-5-PORTTOSPT: Port [dec]/[dec] joined bridge port [dec]/[chars]
    PAGP-5-PORTFROMSPT: Port [dec]/[dec] left bridge port [dec]/[chars]

This is an example:

%PAGP-5-PORTFROMSTP:Port 3/3 left bridge port 3/3
    %PAGP-5-PORTTOSTP:Port 3/3 joined bridge port 3/3
  • For Cisco IOS Software-based switches, these messages appear for link up/down situations:

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface interface, changed state to up 
    %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface interface, changed state to down

This is an example:

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up 
    %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

In order to resolve these issues, troubleshoot with these techniques:

• Disable Windows 2000 and Windows Millennium Edition (ME) power management functions.

Windows 2000 and Windows ME employ a power management capability that can disable the NIC. When the NIC is disabled for power management, it drops the link to the switch. If there is a concern about the link going up/down on NICs with the Windows 2000 or Windows ME operating systems, disable the power management feature as a first step in order to troubleshoot link up/down situations.

• Disable the NIC power management functionality. Many NICs support their own power management capability.

When you troubleshoot link up/down issues, disable this feature. For information on how to disable power management, refer to the NIC documentation.

• Adjust switch jitter tolerance.

Hope that helps

see this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af0.shtml#maintain

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kelly

A port will go from up to  down if a device that was connected to the switch is disconnected and it will go from down to up if a device is connected to it. So it could well be a user in a conference room for example attaching a laptop and then taking it with them when their meeting was finished.

Jon

You guys rock!

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Googi1974 wrote:

Hello Pros-

We have recently taken on a 3rd party service to monitor our Cisco infrastructure. On Friday 3 alerts were generated related to switches in one of our stacks Not Responding/Device Down -- I'm not sure if they meant ports or the switch itself. My issue is with the below response from one of my team members regarding these alerts:

"...these were on individual ports going down and up. This could be a result of someone disconnecting a laptop from a conference room, Service Desk resetting a phone, Help Desk moving a phone/computer, etc."

Is that statment valid? Does a port on a switch go down when you connect a device to the other end? I find it hard to believe that a NOC would be monitoring for these events if such routine activities can trigger these alerts. I'm grateful for any clarification which can be provided as I obviously have much to learn.

Thanks,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I agree with you.  Usually the a NOC will not monitor end user devices i.e. PCs, phones, etc... if not they will be looking at a lots of ups and downs. Can you imagine at 8:00 AM when every one is coming in or at 5:00 PM when every one is leaving...

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco