Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Switching issue

lmanavalan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 Multilayer Switch and both interconnected over the routed port. Both swtich are connected to a router.

An edge switch is connected only to one of the multilayer switch.

The Problem is i am able to ping the management valn address of the edge switch from the Router but i am not able to ping the loopback address of the Router from the edge switch.

Both the multilayer switch has the HSRP configured. OSPF is confgured on Rouer and on both the multilayer Switch.

Please find the network drawing in the attachment

Regards

Logesh

5 Replies 5

Hi,

1.Are you able to ping the router loopback ip address from the multilayer switch?

2.Since you are running OSPF, have you advertised the loopback ip address in OSPF ?

3.Whenever you are pinging to the destination, the source ip address will be the exit interface of the router,might be the exit interface is advertised in your network.So that you are able to ping .

Check the Loopback network address in OSPF routing table

Note : There is no attachment in your post.

Regards

Karuppu

Hi

I tried t ping the edge switch from the router and i am able to ping if i mention the source ip address (either the exit interface or the loopback address)

i thought connecting the edge switch to the 2nd switch could solve this problem because when i try to connect a server on the edge switch i am not able to ping the server from the router but able to ping the router from the server.

tks

Logesh

Message was edited by: lmanavalan

Hi,

The design itself is bit complicated and it is not a good practice also.

Find the attachment,small changes i have done in the current topology.

You can configure etherchannel between 2 multilayer switches and make HSRP of them. No need to configure one back to back L3 port on the multilayer switch.

In access layer switch make the HSRP as the switch default gateway ( ip default-gateway 10.16.64.193)

You can connect one more port from access switch to second multilayer switch.

Regards

Karuppu

Hi

Can you please explain the purpose of the Ethernet channel trunk  between the multilayer switch

Regards

Logesh

HI,

Connecting back to back L3 switch via routed port is not a good practice.

In a enterprise netowrk architecture, there will be multiple access switches connected to primary L3 switch as well as Secondary L3 Switch.

If one or more access layer link connected to primary switch fails, then the traffic from access layer to secondary L3 switch and it will pass to primary L3 switch.

In this scenario between primary L3 switch and secondary L3 switch should handle those traffic and it should have a more link capacity,so that we are in the position to bundle the multiple links into one etherchannel and that should be L2 trunk.

In your scenario you can create etherchannel or single link as a trunk link.that will solve your problem.

Regards

Karuppu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: