Views
Helpful
Replies

"Configuring IP" IP Phone Issue

tcb_tcb_1975
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have some cisco G7965 phone showing "IP Configuring" on the screen. Out Router has the dhcp scope configured to allocate IP's to IP Phones. I can see the IP arp mapping for the phone in question and also settings option on the phone shows that IP has allocated to the phone but for some reason phone can't register with CUCM where as other phones on the same VLAN has no issues what so ever.

I connected to phone using brower and have checked that phone has APP Load ID, Boot Load ID & version are identical to other phones. Hardware revision of the phone having issue is 10 where as other phone have Hardware revision of 9 apart from that everything else is identical. I have tried resetting the phone to factory defaults but made no difference.

Pls assist if you can..

Thanks

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Load Wireshark on your PC and on the phone's device configuration page - make sure that Span to PC Port is ENABLED. Set up Wireshark and then connect the phone to the standard port on the back of the phone. Then connect the phone to the network. You should see the boot sequence of the phone. Compare this to a good phone (one that is operating normally).

In contrast, you could connect your PC to another port on the switch and just span the port of the phone to the port your PC with Wireshark is connected to but you'll miss some of the info you get when you do a direct sniff from the phone.

If possible, turn off all the applications you can on your PC outside of the Wireshark to avoid any garbage info from your PC in the capture.

Please rate helpful posts!

Hailey

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you reset to factory defaults, this shoudl have taken care of the following - but you can go into the Network Settings on the phone and force it to drop and renew its IP address.  Have you checked the switchport configuration of that phone?  Does it have a proper voice VLAN assigned to it?

Hailey

Hi Hailey,

I have tried what you suggested earlier and it didn't work. I moved one phone from other port and connected to the port where faulty phone is and there is no issues. This phone gives the same problem where ever I connected it.

Thanks for the help !

Mike

That's a good start.  You could do a couple things here.  The first, if you want to keep troubleshooting, is to get a packet capture of the boot sequence of the phone and see what is going on at that level.

The other, if you wish to go this route, is to assume you may have a faulty phone and try to get an RMA and/or resolution from TAC.

Hailey

Hi Hailey,

I think you are right that I should capture the boot sequence but unfortunately I have never packet captured phones is the past but familiar with Port Span on switches etc. Is there some sort of document listed on Cisco.com or somewhere which I can use to learn on phone packet capture.

Thanks a lot !

Mike

Load Wireshark on your PC and on the phone's device configuration page - make sure that Span to PC Port is ENABLED. Set up Wireshark and then connect the phone to the standard port on the back of the phone. Then connect the phone to the network. You should see the boot sequence of the phone. Compare this to a good phone (one that is operating normally).

In contrast, you could connect your PC to another port on the switch and just span the port of the phone to the port your PC with Wireshark is connected to but you'll miss some of the info you get when you do a direct sniff from the phone.

If possible, turn off all the applications you can on your PC outside of the Wireshark to avoid any garbage info from your PC in the capture.

Hailey

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check switch port config, or move to another port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: