Backup IOS and config on WLC 4400

Unanswered Question
Mar 9th, 2010
User Badges:

Please could someone tell me the best to way to save and back up the config and ios on a WLC 4400.

I have seen the upload file function using ther config option but have noticed that it comes down as a AES file ?

we may have to upgrade the ios as currently we are running 3.2.195.10

Many Thanks

Mark

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
dancampb Tue, 03/09/2010 - 06:20
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

You can either backup the config via a SNMP manager like WCS or do as you did through the controller itself.  In version 3.2 the configuration is binary so it won't be human readable.  As far as the file extension, it just came down as .aes because that is what was listed in the filename on the Commands-Upload page.  It really doesn't matter what the extension is.

Kayle Miller Tue, 03/09/2010 - 06:30
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Mark,

Dan is correct in terms of the configuration file as for the IOS Image as you call it, I don't know nor have I heard of any way to backup the controller software image, but the controllers do have a primary and secondary image stored on them. From the CLI type "show boot" you should see something similar to this

Primary Boot Image............................... Code 6.0.188.0 (active)
Backup Boot Image................................ Code 5.1.128.0

So you can upgrade the software and if something goes wrong switch which image is your boot image, to change the boot image from the CLI use

config boot primary  or  config boot backup

You can also change it when the controller first boots.

Hope this helps..  Feel free to rate this post.

Thanks,

Kayle

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network