I just picked up a WRVS4400N V2.0 and ensured that it had the most recent firmware (v188.8.131.52) and am having what seems to be a strange problem with it. This issue seems to be 100% reproducible and short of returning the unit I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to overcome this issue.
- I connect the device to my internal network only with a wired connection.
- I can access the web management pages with no problems from any computer on my internal network using the default IP address of 192.168.1.1.
- I can also ping the internal interface on the device from my internal network.
- I connect the WAN cable to the device. Note that I get the same results whether I connect my cable modem directly to the device or through a switch.
- I get a DHCP address assigned to the WAN interface from my ISP.
- Within 10 or 15 seconds of getting the IP address assigned to the WAN interface I can no longer access the web management pages on the device from the internal network, and a ping to the internal interface on the device fails with a message that the TTL expired in transit.
- If I then disconnect the WAN cable and reboot the device I can then access the web management pages and ping the device again until such time as I reconnect the WAN cable and get an IP address on the WAN interface. Then once again, within 10 or 15 seconds, no access to the web management interface and pings to the internal interface fail.
- Note that while access to the web management pages on the internal interface fail from the internal network while the WAN interface is connected, if I enable management over the WAN, I can connect to the management interface from a computer that is directly connected to the Internet.
My ISP (Cogeco Cable) is assigning a public IP address to the WAN interface so it isn't an issue of the device being confused by having IP addresses in the same network range assigned to both interfaces.
Any ideas, short of returning the device? I've opened a case with Cisco SMB support but they were less than helpful. The support tech I first talked to tried to tell me that this was expected behaviour, put me on hold, and then did a 180 and came back and told me that he'd issue me with an RMA.
Thanks for any suggestions.