cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the second SUP to active/primary

hadisharifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a few questions regarding Cisco 6509 and it will be greatly appreciated if some can answer them.

We have a 6509 which has two SUP2/MSFC cards and the SUP in slot 1 has issues with the MSFC and I am not going to bother sending it back to Cisco as this whole setup will be replaced with a 4506 soon. I am using the second SUP2 and MSFC for now until I get the replacement 4506s, however when I power on the switch it boots the 1st SUP and becomes active which I don't want as the MSFC doesn't work and I have to switch to the standby by issuing the switch supervisor command.

1, How do I make sure the second SUP2 becomes active/primary when the switches is powered on?

2, When I configure SUP2 I save the config but if the switch is powered cycled and the SUP is switched over to the standby, the config for the SUP goes missing and it gives me the following error message if I try to configure it. "Command disabled untilthe system config file is uploaded". Which config file is it talking about and how do I find out?

Thanks for your help.

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Hadi,

I would suggest to simply remove the SUP with the faulty MSFC and to keep the device with only one sup/MSFC

as a matter of fact there are thousands of chassis with only one supervisor.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks, I thought there would be a better way and I was going to leave that as the last resort

What about the configs, what does that error message mean?

Thanks

Hi,

As Giuseppe suggested you should just pull the bad Sup out and let it boot from the other one.

The config should be the same as when you had 2 Sups.  When you have 2 Sups you only have access to the primary and whatever you save to primary gets synced with the back up one. Now that one is gone bad you should have access to the other one and the config should be exactly the same.

HTH

Reza

Thanks, I have switched over the second SUP and when I issue show config it shows the configuration but I don't know how to load this into NVRAM, I have copied it to bootflash: but as soon as I issue any command it shows this message "Command disabled until the system config file is uploaded".

What is system config? I am confused I just want the switch to load the config shown in the show config output.

Here is the config file in the bootflash:

Console> (enable) dir bootflash:
-#- -length- -----date/time------ name
  1  9580004 Aug 06 2001 14:59:00 cat6000-sup2cv.6-2-3.bin
  2  5858048 Sep 14 2003 20:58:28 BTSYNC_cat6000-sup2.6-3-9.bin
  3  7677384 Nov 20 2004 16:45:22 BTSYNC_cat6000-sup2k8.7-6-10.bin
  4  6238236 Mar 01 2010 20:47:04 BTSYNC_cat6000-sup2k8.7-4-3.bin
  5     1201 Mar 09 2010 22:31:29 myswitch.cfg

2626052 bytes available (29355516 bytes used)

Have you tried copy running-config startup-config?

I did try all those commands but none helped. I had to reboot the switch a few times and wait for a long time until it accepted the commands and now it's back to normal, it's quite bizarre so not sure what was going on.

BTW nice surname I though I was the only one with that

Hadi,

I am glad you got it working.

Same last name, pretty cool huh!!!!!!!

This does not happen very offen does it?

Reza

Thanks, Yeah, I like the Surname!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: