Upgrade BootLoader on Cisco WLC 4404

Unanswered Question
Mar 9th, 2010

What is the latest Bootloader for the Cisco WLC 4404?  And where can I download it?

My current versions are:

Product Version..................................
RTOS Version.....................................
Bootloader Version...............................

Also is there a reason to upgrade the bootloader image?

On this webpage http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml it shows the steps to upgrade WLC are :

This sequence is recommended for your WLC software upgrade:

1. Upload a backup of your controller configuration to a TFTP server.

2. Disable the 802.11a and 802.11b/g networks on your controller.

3. Upgrade the primary image on your controller.

4. Upgrade the boot image on your controller.

Note: This is a required step for upgrades to 4.1 on the WiSM, 3750G Wireless LAN Controller, and 4400 Series Controllers.

5. Re-enable the 802.11a and 802.11b/g networks on your controller.

I get the primary image is just going to be AIR-WLC4400-K9-6-0-196-0.aes.  But where do i download the Bootloader and it looks like i just do the same thing i did with the primary image.

I think I am missing something.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dancampb Tue, 03/09/2010 - 09:36

The bootloader is bundled in with the main image.  There hasn't been an updated bootloader in a long time, so the version you are seeing is correct.

Scott Fella Wed, 03/10/2010 - 07:24

They are bundled, but are you also uploading the BOOT image with each version.the has a BOOT Image.  I know that the latest bootloader is But then again... I'm running a WLC with and the bootloader shows

hungtx_it Tue, 09/28/2010 - 02:07

Hi All,

Would you please explain to me what is different between Software version and bootloader version, what "Software version" does and what "Bootloader" does?

I know how to upgrade software version? but I don't know how I can upgrade the bootloader.

Can you help me on this job?.

Surendra BG Tue, 09/28/2010 - 19:39

The boot software image consists of the controller boot kernel and           boot menu script. that is.. when you use the WLC for the first time. then you will be able to use this while entering the username, mobility information.. interfaces informations etc.. the Software version is the one which you issue CLI  commands...or even simple example wil be.. reboot the WLC and hit ESC.. the software that you access at this time will be boot loader..

to upgrade the bootloader...

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network