priority queueing

Unanswered Question
Mar 9th, 2010

I have a customer who would like that when option 2 (phyicians) is chosen that those calls get priority over the other call menu options.  I see the set priority step in the CRS script editor but am not sure how this works.   Does anyone have any guidlines on how this should be used or a sample script that I can look at?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Anthony Holloway Tue, 03/09/2010 - 15:34

It places the caller in at a higher priority amongst other callers.

Think about it like this:

You go to a busy restaurant and you ask to be placed on the waiting list.  You tell them your requirements, i.e., booth, high top, bar, etc., and your name goes on the bottom of the list.

A table opens up.  The host checks the list for a matching party, starting at the top of the list, and working their way to the bottom.  If a matching party is found, the get called forward, and go to their table.

This is fair for two reason.  1) you don't just tell the top party on the list they need to take the open table, because they may not want to sit in the bar.  and 2) you don't start at the bottom of the list, because those are the people that just arrived.

This is how UCCX handles calls.  The host is the RmCm, the Table is the Agent, the Patron is the Caller, and the Waiting List is the Priority 1 List.

To get higher on the list, you hand the host $10.  To get even higher on the list, you give a $20, etc.

There is one small detail i need to cover.  The host's list does not technically account for multiple people at the same priority.  However, image if you will, that two people gave $10 to the host, one after the other.  The first person gets placed on the list, at the $10 level, and the second person gets placed on the list, just below them, but still at the $10 level.

So you still have a master list that you look over, from top to bottom, but it's organized into groups of Priorities.

I want to cover something you didn't ask, but it ties right in.  If you visit a not so busy restaurant, you will be seated immediately.  How the host chooses which table to seat you at is called the routing algorithm.  Longest available, most handled, most skilled, etc. And remember, the Table is the Agent.

I hope this illustrates the Priority Queueing, and even the difference between how UCCX handles contacts, and how it selects resources.  They are not the same process.  I see confusion surrounding this all the time.  Especially when I get asked the question, "Why does Agent X, who is a 10 in the Sales skill, always get Support calls, when they are only a 4 in the Support skill?"

Message was edited by: Anthony Holloway - I felt like my post needed more explanation, so I changed some wording, fixed some typos, and add a section to the end.  =)

This Discussion