cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound load-balancing/sharing

markbowman
Level 1
Level 1

How can I do 'inbound' load-balancing without using BGP? Currently we are using a Linkproof load-balancer, so the DNS query hits our external dns server and then forwards to the LP so it can suggest which of the 3 ISP links to come back in on. Can I do something similar to this using just Cisco routers? Also, we have 2 external dns servers on 3 of the ISP links, would that be enough to at least do a 'backup' type scenario? And each of the 3 links has its own public address scheme. I guess w/ bgp we would on need one of the schemes and 3 different ISPs, correct? Does anyone have a sample configuration using 3 different borders routers w/ 3 different ISPs using BGP?

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
How can I do 'inbound' load-balancing without using BGP? Currently we
are using a Linkproof load-balancer, so the DNS query hits our external
dns server and then forwards to the LP so it can suggest which of the 3
ISP links to come back in on. Can I do something similar to this using
just Cisco routers? Also, we have 2 external dns servers on 3 of the
ISP links, would that be enough to at least do a 'backup' type
scenario? And each of the 3 links has its own public address scheme. I
guess w/ bgp we would on need one of the schemes and 3 different ISPs,
correct? Does anyone have a sample configuration using 3 different
borders routers w/ 3 different ISPs using BGP?

Hi,

If you are using Link proof as load balancer then you can achive inbound load balancing also,In order to achive the same your LP will be the authorative DNS for your internal web server which is currently is your external DNS,once request lands on external dns server then it should point to LP saying as the NS record for the request then lp can load balnce the incoming traffic based on name query.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Ganesh.H,

I guess I left out some information. We are currently using the inbound load balancing with the LinkProof, BUT there are some other features with the LP that don't work. So we are migrating to just using routers/l3 switches in our internet scenario, the LP are going away. Do you have any solutions for inbound load balancing/sharing that don't involve the LP?

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card