Helpful
Replies

TelePresence & OCS Integration

chatura
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When TelePresence is  integrated with Microsoft OCS Client (MOC) ,

1. Does presentation sharing work both ways ?

2. What is the user experience for the MOC user ? ( i.e. how does a MOC user connect to a multiparty TP meeting )

3. Can a MOC user directly dial a TP end point ?

4. What components are required for the Integration ?

5. Does the CUVC-M need to be redudndant ?

Thanks & Regards,

2 Replies 2

While I haven't used Microsoft OCS, Telepresence interoperability is generally handled the same way regardless of the non-TP video conferencing solution (we have used Tandberd and Cisco SCCP endpoints).

My answer/experience below:

Hi,

When TelePresence is  integrated  with Microsoft OCS Client (MOC) ,

1. Does presentation sharing work both ways ? - No

2.  What is the user experience for the MOC user ? ( i.e. how does a MOC  user connect to a multiparty TP meeting ) - By dialing a static meeting ID on the interop MCU

3. Can a MOC user  directly dial a TP end point ? - No

4. What components are required for  the Integration ? CTMS and a Cisco (rebadged radvision) 35xx (SD) or 52xx (HD) MCU

5. Does the CUVC-M need to be redudndant ? Not sure.

The way it works is that special static meeting IDs are set up on the CTMS for interop meetings.  When a TP unit dials one of these meetings, the TP meeting is hosted on the CTMS as per a reglar TP multipoint call and the CTMS in turn dials a static meeting ID on the interop MCU, sending it a 768K video stream (35xx) or a 720p video stream (52xx).  The three active Telepresence speakers then appear as standards-based video conferencing participants on the MCU.

Your VC solution then dials into the MCU as per any other multi-point VC call.

Due to the requirement of both the MCU and CTMS being intermediaries between the TP and VC systems, at this time no direct dialing between TP and VC is possilbe (it may be integrated in future?).

Lastly, my organisation has both a 5230 and 3515 MCU and I would strongly reccomend against the 3515 - the Telepresence user experience is quite poor (with being a 768k stream on a 60" plasma screen) whereas the 5230 is quite good, allowing full screen 720p.

It should be noted that I am not a Cisco employee and the above merely represents my experience and research on TP interop, not an official response.

Thanks Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: