Helpful
Replies

SSID with different signal strength

J_Vansen_S
Level 3
Level 3

WLC - 2125

AP - 1142N

Hi, i am setting up a small wireless network that consist of only 2 SSID:- USER and GUEST.

Both of which are trunked together with management of the WLC.

I have a slight issue.

Since both of the SSIDs are being broadcasted by same APs thoughout.

Why is there a difference in the signal strenght of both the SSID?

Where by, USER ssid i am getting roughly 4-5 bars, whereas GUEST i am getting 2-3 bars of signal.

Please advise

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is nothing to really worry about.  If you have more than one AP, it could be that one client is trying to or is associated to one AP and the other client is associated to a different AP.  Unless you are right next to the AP and this is not 100%, then you will see full bars or signal.  The client devices are the ones that decide what they can connect at.... they determine what modulation is usable without excessive errors.  this is why you might see 54mbps connection on one and 36 or 48mbps connection on another.  As long as the devices connect and work fine, I wouldn't pay attention too much with that.  I run wirless at home and I get different reading from different laptops but no issues.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card