cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet to Gigabit port converter for Cisco 3560?

ribin.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have two buildings which are connected by OFC. I have a Cisco 3560 switch where all my vlan configuration is done. I need all vlan's to be available in our second building also. But I think we need a Giga port to communicate between the ofc-ethernet converters in the two buildings.

Is there a converter to convert an ethernet port in cisco 3560 to Gigabit port so that I can make this port trunk and get all vlan info in the second building?

Appreciate any response.

Thanks in advance.

Ribin Jones S.B

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

You can use the copper SFP + media converter or the F.O SFP without media converter. I.E.:

3560 - SFP (1000BASE-T) ---------- Media converter ------ F.O.------ Media converter ------- Cisco 500

3560 - SFP (1000BASE-LX or SX) ---------- F.O. ------------ Media converter ------- Cisco 500

If you choose the second option, the protocol used by the SFP (1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX…) must match with the one used by the media converter in the other end.

You won’t have any problems with VLANs regardless the SFP you choose.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

cdelafuente31
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ribin,

I don't know a port converter for Cisco 3560, but I think that a possible alternative is a 10/100BASE-T/100BASE-FX media converter instead the 1Gb media converter. I think these converters aren't very expensive.

Best Regards,

César.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

We have two buildings which are connected by OFC. I have a Cisco 3560 switch where all my vlan configuration is done. I need all vlan's to be available in our second building also. But I think we need a Giga port to communicate between the ofc-ethernet converters in the two buildings.

Is there a converter to convert an ethernet port in cisco 3560 to Gigabit port so that I can make this port trunk and get all vlan info in the second building?

Appreciate any response.

Thanks in advance.

Ribin Jones S.B

Hi Ribin,

Check out the below link hope to help!!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/hardware/install/notes/1757202.html#wp92781

Ganesh.H

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I have 2 SFP ports in this switch and these are shown as GigabitEthernet0/1 and GigabitEthernet0/2 as I run sh ip int brief. What can I do with this?

- Ribin

Hello,

You can install a GLC-T= (1000BASE-T SFP transceiver module for Category 5 copper wire)

But if you can install two GLC-SX-MM= (or the single mode version, it depends the FO you have installed), one in each edge switch, you don’t have to use the media converter.

Best regards,

So, I need to use GLC-T= (1000BASE-T SFP transceiver module for  Category 5 copper wire) or the module for Optical wire?

In the other end, I have a media converter and the out is connected to the Cisco 500 series Express switch.

My thinking is that, if I use the transeiver module in the L3 switch end, I can make this port trunk and get all vlan info to the Cisco Express 500 series switch. Am I correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

- Ribin

Hello,

You can use the copper SFP + media converter or the F.O SFP without media converter. I.E.:

3560 - SFP (1000BASE-T) ---------- Media converter ------ F.O.------ Media converter ------- Cisco 500

3560 - SFP (1000BASE-LX or SX) ---------- F.O. ------------ Media converter ------- Cisco 500

If you choose the second option, the protocol used by the SFP (1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX…) must match with the one used by the media converter in the other end.

You won’t have any problems with VLANs regardless the SFP you choose.

Best regards,

Thanks ... It is much clear now...

- Ribin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: