Views
Helpful
Replies

NO license key installed on the sensor

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

When I log into the IDM for the IPS, I see the message

"There is no license key installed on the sensor".

My IDM is version 6.0

Does this mean anything important?

Is my IPS operational with the current version of signatures?

And can I just download the new updated (latest version) of signatures and install on the IPS (using my current active CCO account)?

Tks again

Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

Your IPS is operational in every way. Your only limitataion is that you can not apply a

signature update.

You can apply OS updates, and they come bundled with the current signature pack (as of their release date).

The downside of using the OS updates to update your signatures is OS updates usualy contain a pile of brand new signatures that havn't been field tested to any great extent. So, if you are tuning your signatures (doing the analysis of events to eliminate sigs that continually generate false positives) you will have more work to do on your own with an OS sig pack update. The sig updates that follow an OS update usualy address the worst offenders.

- Bob

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

Your IPS is operational in every way. Your only limitataion is that you can not apply a

signature update.

You can apply OS updates, and they come bundled with the current signature pack (as of their release date).

The downside of using the OS updates to update your signatures is OS updates usualy contain a pile of brand new signatures that havn't been field tested to any great extent. So, if you are tuning your signatures (doing the analysis of events to eliminate sigs that continually generate false positives) you will have more work to do on your own with an OS sig pack update. The sig updates that follow an OS update usualy address the worst offenders.

- Bob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card