cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gig Capabilities

dasmith58
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with serveral WS-X6748-GE-TX cards in it. How many ports can actually be used for Gig?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have a 6509 with serveral WS-X6748-GE-TX cards in it. How many ports can actually be used for Gig?

Hi,

You can use available 48 ports on the blade or module as WS-X6748-GE-TX is high-performance 48-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet over copper module designed specifically for use with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 in data center and distribution layer deployments.

The WS-X6748-GE-TX features a 40-Gbps interconnection to the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720's switch fabric-ideal for high-demand, high-density Gigabit Ethernet requirements across all 48 ports.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

dasmith58 wrote:

They all can be used but there is oversubscription, because each line card supports maximum of 40Gig

HTH

Reza

That's what I was thinking. I use to use one in every 8 or 10 ports as Gig. I that still a good practice?

dasmith58 wrote:

That's what I was thinking. I use to use one in every 8 or 10 ports as Gig. I that still a good practice?

Why not use the ports as Gig?  You are not going to have 48 Gig ports sending traffic at the same time.  And if your are really concern about that just use 40 Gig ports out of 48 instead of 1 out of 8 or 10.

HTH

Reza

Just to add to Ganesh's post.

The WS-X6748-GE-TX supports 48Gbps ports and has a 40Gbps connection to the switch fabric. So you could actually use 40 ports without oversubscription although you would need to split it up as 20port per port group. So 1 in 8 or 1 in 10 is not really utilising the full capacity. Note 1 in 8 would be good for a WS-X6548-GE-TX because this only has a 8Gbps connection to the switch fabric.

Also it is unlikely that you will manage to get all 48 ports transmitting at a full 1Gbps at the same time so you can probably go ahead and utilise all 48 ports.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can use available 48 ports on the blade or module as WS-X6748-GE-TX is high-performance 48-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet over copper module designed specifically for use with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 in data center and distribution layer deployments.

The WS-X6748-GE-TX features a 40-Gbps interconnection to the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720's switch fabric-ideal for high-demand, high-density Gigabit Ethernet requirements across all 48 ports.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card