Issues with booting from disk1 on Sup-720

Unanswered Question
Mar 10th, 2010

Are you allowed to boot the IOS image from disk1 rather than disk0?  This has failed on me in the past and again last evening when I upgraded an image.

The compact flash in Disk0 was only 128 MBytes and couldn't hold the new image.  The compact flash in Disk1 is 1GByte so I formated Disk1 and copied the new image to it and verified the MD5 checksum.  I configured the bootvar to boot the new image from disk1 and issued the reload.  The console showed that it was trying to load the correct image from disk1 but then hung - 10 minutes later still no activity.  Power cycling the switch didn't enable it to progress.

Visual inspection of the supervisor showed a green active LED on disk0 but the LED on disk1 was not illuminated.  I took the compact flash card from disk1 and inserted it into disk0 and rebooted and got into ROMMON.  From ROMMON I was able to load the image from disk0.  Once the switch was up, I reset the bootvar to boot from disk0 and reloaded the switch.  It booted successfully and all is good.

The 1GByte compact flash was formated when in the disk1 slot and the IOS image was copied to it while in that slot - so it seems that the slot is good.  When I moved the 1Gbyte compact flash to disk0, I was able to boot from it so clearly there wasn't an issue with the compact flash itself.  The fact that the disk0 LED was illuminated while the disk1 was not does make me question whether the disk1 slot is active during initial bootup.

The questions:

1) can an image be booted from disk1?

2) do I have a defective disk1 slot?

3) should LEDs on both disk0: and disk1 slots be illuminated when valid Cisco compact flash is both slots

The sup-bootflash on this Sup-720-BASE is to small to an image so my only options are disk0 or disk1.

Thanks very much.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion