New to Cisco - CCNA

Unanswered Question
Mar 10th, 2010

Hi all,

Im 22 living in the UK and have some 1st line desktop support experience. Im very keen to learn and have recently signed up to take my first step to a career in IT, by this I mean a CCNA qualification and hopefully more in the future.

Would appreciate any advice and guidance you could give in helping me achieve my CCNA?  Look forward to studying and hopefully asking more intersting questions.

Thanks alot

Andy

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Wed, 03/10/2010 - 14:02

Hello Andy,

CCNA is very good starting point. In addition to CCNA books, there are a lots of good documents with examples on Cisco's site that you can read.

Once you are done with your CCNA you can move on to other certs i.e CCDA and CCNP and so on.....There are also a lots good books i.e Routing TCP/IP by Jeff Doyle out there that you can reference as you read and get more experiance.

Good Luck

Reza

chris.macleod Thu, 03/11/2010 - 01:11

Hi Andy,

I used the following books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Certification-Library-640-802-Guide/dp/1587201836/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268297619&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Portable-Command-Guide-Self-Study/dp/1587201933/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Both are very good and covered the topics well.  I also used CBT Nuggets which is very usefull especially the subnetting section!

Also I would recommend you have a look at GNS3 it's a free network simulator that runs Cisco IOS.  Don't even think about buying a network simulator they are expensive and support limited commands, GNS3 is much better.  As well as GNS3 I purchased some cisco routers and a couple of switches from ebay, if you have a few spare £ i would recommend you do this also. 

Have a look at Wendell Odom's blog (author of the two study guides above) he discusses purchasing equipment for your home lab.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/3193

Hope this helps and good luck!

Chris

Andy21JH1 Thu, 03/11/2010 - 02:46

Hiya,

Thank you for your support so far, will look into all your suggestions.

Andy

Sukanta Biswas Sun, 03/14/2010 - 03:27

Hi Andy,

On top of CCNA, there are few Cisco guide books in Networking and you will find handy for better understanding of OSI and cisco layers, Different types of domain and network topology. However, I agree with Chris, don't buy any network simulator. Use GNS3 for practice and you can even create complex network in GNS3.  Good luck.

Cheers

Sukanta

azimrazvi Wed, 10/27/2010 - 04:25

Hell Andrew,

Sorry for negative reply, because u mentioned here that u stay in uk either here i know one of the proffessional Cisco CCNA Courses intitute which is located in Mumbai, India but how sad because u r not stay in India also for further details u can chk its prfossional website "acit.in" or u can call at +91-9769932894 or email at "[email protected]".

Thanks and Regards

Azeem Tamboli

Actions

This Discussion