cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hostname in .cnf file !

meezanbank
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone. I am using cucm 6.0 and CIPC. I am also using wireshark to observe the phone registeration process.I read in student guide of CIPT v6.0 that in order to avoid DNS related issues, its always good to specify the IP address in the following location

System->Server

Select the server

in Hostname/IPaddress* = ccm-pub (change it to server IP address so next time, ip phone will get ip address instead of hostname and will not try to resolve the hostname with DNS !!)

But in actual when i use ccm-pub or any name here, my phone is still able to register successfully. I dont have any DNS running. How is it possible ? when i look at the capture of wireshark, i can see the contents of .cnf.xml file that show me the ip address of ccm server and not the hostname. What if i want hostname to be sent to ip phone in their .cnf file ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

You may restart TFTP service.  That should update all CNF files.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

Hi

Yeah, I don't recall seeing it documented anywhere... but then, not everything is documented.

In some scenarios it makes sense (typically smaller deployments), however on larger clusters your TFTP server is likely not to be running the CallManager service anyway, so it would not work.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it... you should make sure that the server names you specify in CCM are resolvable, or replace them with IPs, then it won't become an issue.

Regards

Aaron

Don't forget to rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Whatever you put in the server config page is what should appear in the TFTP file. If I change it, then the TFTP files are regenerated with the IP or name as I entered it.

If this isn't happening, I would try resetting the handsets via CCM admin, and failing that restarting the TFTP service ( should then regenerate all the files).

You can do:

tftp x.x.x.x GET SEP123412341234.cnf.xml to pull the tftp files for analysis if you are on a Windows box.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

You may restart TFTP service.  That should update all CNF files.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Dear Sir,

It worked and now in .cnf file i am getting hostname

meezan-ccm
meezan-ccm

meezan-ccm

Now i am confused that without DNS how did CIPC resolved it to 10.1.2.7 (ip of CCM server) ? i have checked the host file in system32 directory of where CIPC is installed, but it also doesnt contain any such entries. The only thing that i have hardcoded in CIPC network setting is the TFTP server IP which is also 10.1.2.7(CCM is providing TFTP service). Is this the reason ?

Kindly help me

Hi

Yes - click Settings, the Device Settings.

You should see something like this:

This shows that CUCM-71 isn't working (there is no 'Active' or 'Standby' next to it) so it has fallen back to the TFTP server as a final resort.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Hi aaron,

Thats the case, you are absolutely right. But can you kindly refer me a cisco doc or book that highlights this fallback process ? i have read but it never mentions what happens in the case if its not reachable or perhaps i missed it in hurry.

Kindly refer me the doc

Hi all,

I have checked again to verify my point. Kindly dont mind if i ask something stupid but i am a bit confused. Its said that if the primary server fails then it wil fall back to secondary server, but it never mentions that the backup server can automatically be the tftp server ? why IP phone considered and try registering to tftp server when it wasnt mentioned in .cnf file ?

Any help pls ?

Hi

Yeah, I don't recall seeing it documented anywhere... but then, not everything is documented.

In some scenarios it makes sense (typically smaller deployments), however on larger clusters your TFTP server is likely not to be running the CallManager service anyway, so it would not work.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it... you should make sure that the server names you specify in CCM are resolvable, or replace them with IPs, then it won't become an issue.

Regards

Aaron

Don't forget to rate helpful posts...

Thanks sir for the support :-)

i dont know how to rate other posts like before, kindly dont mind the previous 2 guys as they were also able to solve my confusion.

Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: