Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel LACP fast-switchover

slandeira
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can I configure the command lacp fast-switchover without configuring LACP 1:1 Redundancy? How it works? Does the traffic is balanced between the two links of the EtherChannel?

What is the difference between commands lacp fast-switchover and lacp rate fast ?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

Can I configure the command lacp fast-switchover without configuring LACP 1:1 Redundancy? How it works? Does the traffic is balanced between the two links of the EtherChannel?

What is the difference between commands lacp fast-switchover and lacp rate fast ?

Thank you.

Hi,

When you enable LACP 1:1 link redundancy, based on the system priority and port priority, the port with the higher system priority chooses the link as the active link and the other link as the standby link and genral recommendation is to configure two ports only (one active and one hot-standby) in the bundle for optimum performance. When the active link fails, the standby link is selected as the new active link without taking down the port channel. When the original active link recovers, it reverts to its active link status. During this change-over, the port channel is also up.

Lacp rate fast is used to set the rate at which Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) control packets are ingressed to an LACP-supported interface
The following command is used to modify the duration of a LACP timeout. The LACP timeout value is set on Cisco switches to a value of 90 seconds. Using the lacp rate command, you can select the LACP timeout value for a switch to be either 30 seconds or 1 second.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Thank you very much, but I still have doubts:

Can I set the lacp fast-switchover without Redundancy?

From what I understand redundacy 1:1 all the traffic is always one of the links, the other is in standby. With a normal EtherChannel balances the traffic between the two ports of the channel so the bandwidth is increased, is it?

Thank you very much for your reply.
S.

Thank you very much, but I still have doubts:

Can I set the lacp fast-switchover without Redundancy?

From what I understand redundacy 1:1 all the traffic is always one of the links, the other is in standby. With a normal EtherChannel balances the traffic between the two ports of the channel so the bandwidth is increased, is it?

Thank you very much for your reply.
S.

Hi S,

Yes you are right about basic etherchannel concept  that EtherChannel allows multiple physical Fast Ethernet links to combine into one logical channel to load sharing of traffic among the links in the channel as well as redundancy in the event that one or more links in the channel fail.

But to use LACP 1:1 redundancy, you configure an LACP EtherChannel with two ports (one active and one standby). If the active link goes down, the EtherChannel stays up and the system performs fast switchover to the hot standby link.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Thanks so much.

Only ask whether it make sense to use command fast-switchover if the redundancy is not configured.

Regards.

S.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card