cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco View / Save running config

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

Our helpdesk folks use Cisco view to enable/disable ports.  Yesterday one of our switches lost power and the running config was not saved.  Is there I can force Cisco View to save the config so this doesn't happen?

If not, does anyone know of a work around I can implement?

4 Replies 4

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

This config should help with your problem.

archive

write-memory

time-period 1440

What that will do is write the config and also archive it every 1440 minutes (daily) You can then view the archived configs by running the command

show archive

Please rate post that help.

Mike

Actually there are a few more options with this as well.

I would set it up to store them either locally in its own directory maybe called configs and put them on flash:

or you can send them off to a remote spot with tftp or ftp.

Also you need to figure out how many of these archived file you want to keep, 14 is the default.

you could do this...

config t

cd slot0:

mkdir configs

That will make a directory on flash in slot 0

next

config t

archive

path slot0:/configs/$h   ------the $h will use the host name for the file name

write-memory

time-period 1440

maximum 5   ---------this will make it so only 5 configs are saved in archive

Please rate helpful posts

Mike

Mike, this would work for most of my infrastructure, but I do have some older 2950 switches.  I can't use this solution for those switches.  Is there simply not a Ciscoworks solution available?

I am not well versed with Cisco Works so I am not sure. I will check a couple things.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: