Views
Helpful
Replies

guidance to install Unity 7.0 in 7825 media server

limhupkeat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This is my 1st time to install unity 7.0 in the brand new 7825 server media.And I am having hard time through out the installation

Below are the spec:

MCS-7825-H4-ECS1

Cisco Unity MCS   7825 HP Server

UNITY-PWR-UK

Power Cord for   UK, Hong Kong, Ireland, Singapore

DAT-USB-RM-72

Rack Mount USB   36/72GB DAT Drive

UNITY-SYSDISK

Unity Operating   System 2003

The software in bundle in Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing kit. Inside the CUWL kit contained a lot of Unity installation disks which is confusing me which one i should use for the installation?

What is the different between Cisco Unity 7.0 and Cisco Unity Connection 7.0?

Here is the situation I am facing. I am trying to setup the 7825 media server from scratch, I manged to installed the Windows Server 2003 after that I wanted to installed the SQL data base but it required the product key for installation and I can't find the product key in my CUWL. So I decided to skip this part and try to install Unity 7.0. The setup wizard pop out after I restart the server the first thing the wizard want me to do is join the AD domain.

The worst thing is my customer's network don't have exchange server and AD server. All the clients are connected to the L2 switch only.And I get stuck here.

I have limited time frame to complete the UC setup. Please advise what am I supposed to do ?Thank you very much.

1 Reply 1

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You say a few things that lead me to making the following recommendation:

What is the difference between Unity and Unity Connection?  Unity is Unified Messaging, it is dependent upon a backend mailstore (Exchange) and is tightly integrated into Active Directory.  Unity Connection is voicemail only or Integrated Messaging.  For a good blog on what the differences are, go here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/integrated-messaging-vs-unified-messaging.html?blogger=David+Hailey

You go on to say that your customer doesn't have AD or Exchange which means you have a problem if you're trying to install Unity.  The other usual option, and I don't personally like it, is integration with Lotus Domino and you don't say whether your customer has that environment or not.  You can also set up Unity as it's own AD and Exchange environment but it's going to require more than a single 7825.  You would need at least 2 servers.  One would be Unity and also be configured as the PDC in an AD domain with the other server which would be your message store.

So, long story short it sounds like Unity is the exact opposite of what your customer can support.  I'd recommend Unity Connection and make sure you read up on the product and know what the end user features and options are before you install it even if, as you said, you only have a limited amount of time to get the UC solution in place.

I'm interested to know what brought you to making a decision to go with Unity based on the customer data that you provided?

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: