Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Site LAN Design

Hello,

I need to replace some old 4003 switches in my regioinal offices, but due to budget restraints I'm limited on spending.  I need at least 96 PoE ports for the regional office and was thinking I could afford to replace the old switch with (2) Cisco Catalyst 3560G 48 - 10/100/1000 PoE Ports + 4 SFP Ports.  I would like to provide some redundancy if possible, so my question is could I use the SFP ports as way to interconnect the switchs for redundant paths back to the 2811 router that has 2 Fast Ethernet ports.  Kind of like a poor man's stackwise configuration, without the stackwise technology...

Regards,

GTC

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi GTC,

Since the 2 on board ports are 10/100 copper on the 2811 as long as you don't have distance limitation it would work.  You uplink each switch via one of 10/100/1000 port to your 2811. You can use the SFPs to connect the switches together.  And if you want to you can bundle multiple SFPs together and build an Etherchannel.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: