cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS for Inbound VoiP

simonwynn
Level 1
Level 1

I know how to resevrve bandwith for outgoing RTP streams, but how do I reserve bandwith on incoming traffic. I know that QOS queues in the wan port inbound do not exist, so do I just set a policy on the internal interface outbound???

thanks,

Simon

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If you have voice coming in from the WAN on (for example) a 2mb link, and then going on to your LAN, you aren't ever going to see congestion on that link... so prioritising is pointless. You would want the packets to arrive at the switch with markings intact, so that as they go accross your LAN they are being prioritised between switches etc where they may experience congestion...

So ensure your LAN switches are trusting the incoming (typically DSCP) markings from the WAN, and prioritising on the LAN based on those markings...

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Ok, got it, thanks - that totally makes sense.

Simon

No problem..

Please don't forget to rate posts!

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card