cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding an old subscriber to a new cluster

reidg
Level 1
Level 1

a number of months back we upgraded our three server cluster from 4.1.3 upto 6.1.4 then onto 7.0.1.  Now sitting at 7.1.2.  At the time because of server age we actual bought in three new servers, built the cluster, did dma, then installed onto the new cluster.  Three existing servers were switched off.  To make it easy we used the same ip-addresses and host names for the new servers, as was on the old ones.

Now we want to re-introduce one of the old servers back into the cluster.  (It was actually reasonably new and fits the profile for 7.1.2 hardware).

Question: what do you think is the right way of doing this, remember the server switched off currently has the same ip address and hostname as one of the working servers, and is on a much lower code.

I'm thinking we need to change the hostname and ip address of the server via windows.

Add this address and hostname to the existing cluster.

Put this server back on the network so it can see the pub

Use the install 6.1.4 upgrade disc, then continue until we reach 7.1.2.

opinions?

cheers

Grant

8 Replies 8

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The three old servers will need to be rebuilt from scratch using the media for the version you are currently running. You can't upgrade from Windows to Linux (the process for that is effectively export config using DMA, rebuild from media and reimport config) and you can't bring a Windows CCM into a linux cluster... Just add them as new subscribers with whatever IP/names you like.

You would also need to install any additional software such as locales/dial plans etc.

Now - the problem you may run into is that the 'old' servers may not support the new version of CCM. A quick way to find out is to insert the media and allow the install to start, it will tell you quickly if it's not going to work.

There are also pages on cisco.com where you can check compatibility..

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron thanks for reply,

the hardware on the server we wish to add in is compatible, its more the steps to take that i'm questioning.

Change the ip address/hostname of the old server

then upgrade it.  From your post you reckon that I couldn't build this up from using the discs we have: 6.1.4 install then various upgrades.  By instead a clean 7.1.2 install disc, which we don't have, only upgrade disc.

ta

Hey Grant,

Maybe you could use the 6.1(4) discs and then there is an option

during the install of the new node to upgrade to the proper/matching

7.1(2) version

Here are the steps;

When you perform a fresh installation of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you must define any subsequent servers (nodes) in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Server Configuration window before you can install Cisco Unified Communications Manager on each subsequent server. To define a subsequent node, click Add New, and perform the procedure in the "Configuring a Server" section. After you add the subsequent server, you can then install the Cisco Unified Communications Manager software on that server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmcfg/b02servr.html#wp1020200

Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager on a New Subscriber Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_0_1/cluster/clstr701.html#wp97669

Hope this helps! Just a thought.

Rob

Rob, thanks for reply, from your post it would appear that the old server must see the pub to be able to upgrade, yes?

So need to change address/hostname, add to existing cluster, put on network then update, yes??

At the moment we've tried to upgrade it off network, appears to recognise the 6.1.4 disc, but after saying its installing linux, the screen goes blank, HD, DVD lights go off and it just sits there.  Hence the reason I'm wondering if it needs to be on network and see the pub.

thanks

Grant

Hi

It does need to be on the network for the build, but I wouldn't expect a blank as a result of this not being the case... you would normally get reasonably clear errors, and much later in the build after you have told it where the publisher is, what the security phrase is etc.

Are you sure it's not just the screen going into power save or something?

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

To be honest Aaron thats what i'd thought, but we left it for 30minutes or so and its doing heehaw, fact that the HD/DVD lights are out as well, would seem to back up the doing nothing suggestion.

Last thing we see is:

Blue screen "Loading CCIS driver"  I think, then blank...

strange.

thanks

Grant

Hi

Well - you can boot from the original media you have, and then select an option to apply a patch during the upgrade... so you may be able to boot from the newest media you have, and then apply the 7.x patch to bring the software up to the correct level.

If you have 7.x media that is just a little lower than the current version you run, I would start with that (in order to get the upgraded license for 7.0 you normally order an upgrade kit, so would have some media with that).

Regards

Aaron

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It all depends on the exact hardware you have and what is supported.   The linux boot discs are odd and only support certain hardware.  You may have a 6.x boot disc, but it will not work with the newests servers. (had this happen already)

My advice -  (as mentioned here already)

Do not use the old server load, IP address, or hostname.  Remove all this stuff from CUCM and start fresh for this subscriber.

Add the new hostname to CUCM

boot off 7.x disc

have your 7.x patch ready on an sftp server somewhere so you can match the current installed version of CUCM to the the Subscriber you are loading (or it will fail)

enter in the load information

Sit back and releax for 40 minutes while it loads.

Once it loads, configure your CM Groups, Device pools, etc to use this new Sub as you please.

But trying to reuse an old subscriber with existing data on it... bleh... probably not a good idea.   The general rule of thumb, why try to *make* it work, when you can simply just reload the Subscriber and you know it *will* work.

have fun!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: